Author Topic: Best resident protection spyware blocker?  (Read 18430 times)

Go Pack Go

Best resident protection spyware blocker?
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:31:46 AM »
What is the best resident protection spyware blocker out there that is free, works with Comodo Firewall, and avast!.  Also, is Spybot S&D count as a "resident" protector if I have the immunizer on and the bad download blocker on, but not the Tea Timer?

Thanx

Go Pack Go

Re: Best resident protection spyware blocker?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:46 AM »
And also, do I need a Resident spyware protector with avast! and Comodo?  I mean, I don't want to be vulverable to spyware.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:43:11 AM »
And also, do I need a Resident spyware protector with avast! and Comodo?  I mean, I don't want to be vulverable to spyware.
It won't be bad... But it's possible to live only with on-demmand scanning if you use safe web habits...
Windows Defender is a good resident.
The same for Spyware Terminator.
Other free on-demmand good scanners are: SpyBot, Ad-aware (from Lavasoft), SuperAntispyware, AVGas, a-squared.
And immunization tools of SpyBot, IESpyAd, SpywareBlaster.
Oh, all work with avast and Comodo  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:59:37 AM »
Your best bet is a browse or search of the General forum titles (as this is unrelated to the avast 4 Home/Pro forum), where this subject has been covered a number of times, there are even a couple of polls. The problem being best is a subjective title.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Go Pack Go

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:11:42 AM »
Can someone give me a list of "real-time" spyware blockers, so I can do my own research?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:30:24 AM »
Can someone give me a list of "real-time" spyware blockers, so I can do my own research?
1. Windows Defender.
2. Spyware Terminator.
3. TeaTimer of SpyBot.
4. Non-free versions of Ad-aware (from Lavasoft), SuperAntispyware, AVGas, a-squared.
as I've posted before  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:55:44 AM »
And sorry ... but what about the warnings that some of these products, run as resident, will stop avast starting up properly come the next avast program update?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:50:19 AM »
I run SpywareTerminator with Comodo firewall and Avast Home. No Problems at all. I did have Teatimer enabled, but disabled it because it and Spyware terminator were advising of the same events.Spybot's Bad blocker is not a "resident" as such, it prevents connections to known bad addresses. Teatimer neither, but it acts as one in one way, in that it guards against registry changes, which can make a big difference as to whether spyware can install itself properly. Winpatrol is another that does this (and more), almost in real time. (Min interval usually 1min).
I would not rely on Windows Defender. Reading reports on other forums indicates that it lets a lot of things through.
I think those are the only free resident antispy applications. Wait! There's another...Spydefense. Seems OK, I ended up uninstalling it because it didn't update for weeks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:53:23 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:52:41 AM »
 :)  Hi all :

As far as I know, there is no trustworthy antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN program that
     provides "real-time" protection for FREE. Is best ( trustworthy ) to choose from what
     antiSPYWARE Expert Eric Howes recommends at :
     www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy .

NOTE : He did NOT include "Counterspy" because he is the Director of Research there.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:52 AM »
Spiritsong,
True, the program has not been around long enough to be considered "trustworthy" yet at spywarewarrior, who say this about it's de-listing as "rogue" (in March this year):

Note on SpywareTerminator:  We originally listed Spyware Terminator on this page out of concerns that Crawler, the company behind the product, had established connections with IBIS, a well known adware distributor responsible for such adware programs as Wintools, Websearch, & Huntbar. Although we found no problems in our initial testing with Spyware Terminator, and while the vendor itself announced that it was exiting the adware business (1), we decided out of caution to impose a three month probation period before we would consider re-testing and, if warranted, de-listing the the product from the Rogue/Suspect list. During that three month probation period we monitored the behavior of IBIS and Crawler. At the end of the three month probation period we re-tested Spyware Terminator, again finding no problems serious enough to justify listing the program on this page. As the vendor involved has not been involved in the distribution of adware for many months, and as the program itself exhibits no problems serious enough to warrant mention on this page, we have decided to de-list Spyware Terminator from the Rogue/Suspect list and can no longer regard the program to be "rogue/suspect."
Note: not to be confused with Spyware X-terminator from Stompsoft
[/b]

However, if you look at the opinions of a few users, who haven't been riddled with popups and adware since installing it, (quite the reverse, in fact), you might perceive a different view.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the application is trustworthy.It's definitions are not as broad ranging as some, there has been the odd bug in it's development, it's not always straightforward, particularly for a newbie, to set it up correctly or to know how to respond to an alert. A check of the forum content will reveal this, and more. It will also reveal a genuine appreciation of the product. My PC is important to me. (That's why I use Avast). And I'm quite happy to have ST guarding the malware side of it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Go Pack Go

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
So will Windows Defender work with avast! and Comodo, I think I am going to use that.

J J

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 07:19:43 PM »
what's spybot tea timer. I've got Avast, Windows Defender, Service Pack 2, Spybot, Ad- aware  SE Personal, and Spyware Blaster. they all work perfect and keep my P.C clean.  I havent had a major problem with my P.C since installing these. Spyware blaster is really helpful it's not a scanner but helps stop spyware from getting on the P.C in the first place. windows defender also stop harmful things getting on the P.C and also has a scanner. I would highly reccomend downloading service pack 2 (windows.com) as it protects your P.C considerably. 

Spiritsongs

Spybot's "Teatimer", etc
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:44:46 PM »
 :)  Hi JJ :

From the bleepingcomputer "Tutorial" on Spybot :

"TeaTimer - This program will constantly run on your computer in the background and notify you of any changes to system settings on your computer before they are allowed to happen. "

Hi GoPack :

Even though Windows "Defender" is on Howes's "Trustworthy" programs, in the past it has
     has a couple of undesirable features, such as CUMULATIVE Updates, instead of INCREMENTAL
     Updates, etc . IF you use SAFE Surfing Practises, you do not need "real-time" antiSPYWARE
     protection .

J J

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »
thanks for the reply. do i have to turn it on or does it work automatically?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 01:29:28 PM »
It is off by default (check Resident tab), I never used those functions as they can remove the avast icon if you don't know what it is doing, I have also replaced it with another anti-spyware with all resident functions either disabled by default or disabled by me.

But you have the program in front of you get to know it, check out its settings, help file, forums, etc. That way you get the best out of the program, that same is true of any security based program, delve into them learn what they do you will get more out of them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security