Author Topic: Avast file infected?  (Read 3279 times)

angel74

Avast file infected?
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
Hi everyone, long time no see :-*
Ive just done a scan, and it came up with 3 infected files, 2 of which avast sorted for me, but one of which it said an error was occuring when i tried to do anything with it but i didnt want to delete it because of it being an avast file. In fact there were alot of files that said they were unscanable too, but mainly files from a spyware thing i use, so i dont worry too much about that. Anyway, because of the layout of the report screen, i couldnt see the name of the virus, except win:32-D......... so i decided to rescan the file to see if i could then see what the virus was, but i was then told that the file was unscanable too. Any suggestions?
The file in question is -
c:\ProgramFiles\AlwilSoftware\Avast4\DATA\integ\avast.int

Thanks!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast file infected?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »
The file in question is - c:\ProgramFiles\AlwilSoftware\Avast4\DATA\integ\avast.int
This is the VRDB (virus recovery database)... it's a legit file... are you sure it's being shown as infected?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:09:27 PM »
It would be nice to find out the exact virus name reported.
I'm afraid such a thing might happen under certain special circumstanes. :(  I would probably suggest to delete the file (e.g. by a boot-time scanner, if it's not possible to do from Windows directly) and let VRDB be regenerated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:12:24 PM »
I'm afraid such a thing might happen under certain special circumstanes. :( 
Aren't the files scanned before added to VRDB? Will these special circumstances be related to false positives?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:27:55 PM »
Yes, they are scanned. The "special circumstanes" mean that the (infected) file is not detected at the moment it's added into VRDB, but already present on the computer. Also, the detection signature must fit into the small amount of information extracted from the file - which is quite a big coincidence as well, in my optinion.