Author Topic: AOL Protected  (Read 3754 times)

slybo

AOL Protected
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:13:53 PM »
Hi, I was reading on the avast web site trrying to figure something out and found a page that said avast web shield did not work with AOL, does this mean I am not protected or is this something not to worry about? I am using the Avast Professional 4 version, I have AOL and Road Runner. If also you could answer what I was looking for, on the Log Viewer setting page do you put the slider at the top on Emergency or the bottom on debug to include all the items in the list. In other words I want it to log all the items so where do I place the slider to do this. I am new to avast so please understand if this sounds like a dumb question. Thanks slybo

tls

Re: AOL Protected
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
AOL is not scanned by webshield; however, AOL mail is scanned by whatever anti-virus AOL is using now (not sure whether they are using McAfee or Kaspersky, or maybe something else).  I have had no problems with viruses in my e-mail (AOL dial-up).  But I also access any mail with unexpected attachments, etc. through MS Outlook, and it is scanned by the avast! Outlook/Exchange provider.  Since I delete anything that actually looks suspicious without opening it, especially obvious spam, I don't worry about not having AOL scanned by webshield.

I believe setting the log viewer to "debug," at the bottom, will result in logging of everything from there up (all categories).

(edited to add log viewer answer)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:56:47 PM by t l s »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 10:04:11 PM »
The issue is that AOHell uses non-standard proprietary programs and the web shield monitors http traffic using the http protocol if AOHell's browser of choice uses something different then it won't be covered, however if you were to use another browser, firefox then you are probably going to be OK.

The Internet Mail provider monitors POP3, SMTP, NNTP and IMAP protocols on ports 26, 110, 119, 143 and I don't believe AOHell's email client plays by those rules, protocols or ports.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

slybo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replys. I understand the log viewer now and see what you are saying about the webshield. But on the webshield since it is not going to work for the most part on AOl, if I do use AOL am I in much danger when going to a web site or does the rest of avast still keep me fairly safe? I am trying to understand the importance of the webshield not working with AOL and if I still use AOL, which I do to surf the web. In other words if I get a virus while using AOL the other parts of avast would detect and stop the virus, right? slybo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:21:08 PM »
I have never used AOHell, I only hear of other peoples experiences and since most things AOHell are proprietary systems, which are more to do with protectionism than anything else. Like the long time fiasco about Internet Messaging and AOHell trying to stop other IM programs communication with AIM.

I don't know if the browser you have to use with aol can be bypassed, e.g. use another one and connect to the internet direct and not through aol's proprietary system or proxy, then you would be using normal http protocols and perhaps web shield will be able to scan web content. You connect to AOHell in the normal way then open up your other browser and effectively operate outside the aol environment. As I say I have never used AOHell so excuse me if I don't explain how to do this as I simply don't know.

Not having the web shield scanning content will leave you a little more vulnerable, but don't forget the standard shield also provides the next line of defence and I would suggest that you have it set on high if you can't get web shield to work within an AOHell environment.

The web shield intercepts web http traffic and scans it before it arrives on your hard disk (temporary internet files), if something is detected it can abort the connection that is downloading that item, so it never arrives on your HDD.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tls

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:57:26 AM »
Slybo, if your internet connection is through Roadrunner (cable), you should have no problems surfing without AOL.   I use Firefox for most surfing, IE when necessary; both are scanned by webshield (ball rotates, scanned count increases) even though I use AOL to connect to the internet.

BTW, I choose not to download and use AOL's free anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware for several reasons:  sometimes conflicting information about the software (from AOL and other sources), problems with updates, frequent incompatibility with other software after updates, and abysmal so-called support from AOL. 

slybo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I will set my standard shield to high to help out when I use AOL. I do try to use Internet Explorer, Road Runner, as much as I can and seems like more everyday. I did not have Road Runner until a few months ago and I am slowly going away from AOL. I think you have answered my questions so again Thank You. I set my Log Viewer and now am getting what I wanted. slybo

tls

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:51:41 PM »
I am glad you got the information you needed, slybo.  I should have mentioned, I do use AOL occasionally for surfing (an old habit) and have not had a single virus since switching to avast about 6 months ago.
That old habit is on its way out--Firefox is faster than IE or AOL.

My mother and my daughter also have AOL dial-up, with avast! home, and have had no problems.  We all have Standard Shield set to "normal." 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »
Glad that you have it sorted, a belated welcome to the forums.