Author Topic: Whitelist for Web Shield?  (Read 6047 times)

bush0113

Whitelist for Web Shield?
« on: November 19, 2006, 05:37:30 AM »
I have noticed WebShield is prohibiting me from loading some websites.  I play World of Warcraft for example, and my guild's website is blocked by Web Shield, so I have to disable Web Shield everytime I want to visit it.  Any whitelists or something similar so Web Shield doesn't block this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Whitelist for Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:56:28 PM »
avast is an antivirus, not a firewall.
It does not block anything, just scan. When the site is infected, that particular connection is blocked.
So, it cannot prohibiting me from loading some websites...
Why don't you test the site with Dr. Web URL checker (http://online.drweb.com/?url=1).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:14:23 PM »
As Tech said avast doesn't block unless infection detected and you would be alerted by a visual and audible alert, so you would know.

What is your firewall ?
There may be a conflict with that and web shield, zone alarm pro with high privacy settings can cause an issue if you have that ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bush0113

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
I am not using a firewall.  When Webshield is ON, I can't visit the said websites, when Webshield is OFF, I can load the websites fine.......is there any kind of whitelist so I can put these sites on there?

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:36:07 PM »
I am not using a firewall.  When Webshield is ON, I can't visit the said websites,

What is the addresses to those websites?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:53:02 PM »
Having a whitelist won't have any effect avast doesn't block sites unless you specifically block (web shield, customize, URL Blocking) them, in effect the remainder are white listed.

However, if you want to specifically exclude a URL from being scanned add it to the Web Shield, Customize, Exceptions, URLs to exclude. You can try that but I don't think it will make a difference because avast's web shield only scans and if there is any infection it will alert you to it, that is the only circumstance that it may block a page or item from loading.

If you can give some examples of the sites you are trying to visit then perhaps we can investigate them also ?
Is there anything special or common about the sites you can't access, e.g. you have to logon, etc. ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:07:31 PM »
When Webshield is ON, I can't visit the said websites, when Webshield is OFF, I can load the websites fine.
All websites or just ones?
If just ones, like Bluesman asked, which ones?
Oh, please, don`t post links to infected sites here  ;)

bush0113

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
I have checked the site and it is clean.

Any site from the www.dkpsystem.com domain is unaccessable to me.  Like I said, If I disable Webshield it loads fine.  It used to work fine until this week, now it is not loading.  I tried adding the website to the exclusions, but it had no effect.  Only disabling Webshield allows me to load the site.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:59:25 PM »
No problem here, firefox, Maxthon and IE all with web shield enabled.

Are you absolutely sure you don't have a firewall (some motherboards have them, Gigabyte, etc.), because disabling web shield and being able to connect is a sign it may be being blocked.

Do you use a router with a firewall incorporated ?

bush0113

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 11:24:49 PM »
Nope, no firewall.  It works fine and dandy without WebShield, but the second I turn Webshield on, I can't view any sites from there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »
Well other than that I can't see any reason why it isn't working, what errors are you getting when you try to connect to the web site ?

There has got to be some sort of conflict, but why it would only effect this site is beyond me.

What other security based software do you have that might have an effect, e.g. SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Do you have another AV installed ?

Outside of this problem a firewall is an absolute essential security element.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
Any site from the www.dkpsystem.com domain is unaccessable to me.
I have access to it and it's clean.
Probably your 'Blocked sites' into Internet Security Options has this site listed... or any other security program (Peer Guardian maybe...).