Author Topic: What do I have to do to . . . . .  (Read 4343 times)

Babyfishmouth

What do I have to do to . . . . .
« on: November 19, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »
allow acess to my myspace page? If I disable the webshield it allows me to log in, so how do I change settings so I can log on without having to disable the websheild? Is there a way??? :-\
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 02:11:59 PM by Babyfishmouth »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't log onto myspace since
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 02:09:43 PM »
The problem is with ZA Pro and the Privacy function set to High, do you have ZA Pro ?
avast doesn't block, but there could however be a conflict with ZA Pro if you have it.

Does it work for all other web sites ?
How do you log on to myspace ?
Regular web page (http) enter user name and password, validated on secure https page and back to a http page, how ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Babyfishmouth

Re: What do I have to do to . . . . .
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »
Hi David R. See my new post in this bit. But as yet, it only seems to be effecting myspace, VERY starnge. I do have Zone Alarm Pro yes. When I log on to myspace, I simply fill in two boxes, asking for my email and password??? And as I've said, now I disable the Avast Webshield, it allows me in - help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 02:44:41 PM »
When you installed avast what did you answer for the compatibility question, see below ?
As a quick test either turn the privacy setting to medium or low (sorry I don't use ZA) and see if that works, if not temp disable the privacy function, do either of these work ?

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

- ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer NO) or change the value to =0.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Babyfishmouth

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
First of all I want to appologise if I'm a little slow with all this, as I'm no internet 'tech head'  (although I am learning along the way!!).
I have disabled the pivacy settings in Zone Alarm Pro (i only have the options of 'HIGH' 'MED' or 'OFF' and they were already on  'MED'). Once swtiched off, and AVAST websheild reactivated, then yes I can log into mypace no problems.  Earlier today, before joining this forum, I did view the tutorial, and made the appropriate changes, but other than that, didn't know what else to do?? I don't remember seeing a compatiblity question anywhere when I downloaded?
When it says 'manually configure' what do I have to do?? :-\ I have made the changes like in the tutorial, but how do I make these further manual changes? I don't undertstand? As I don't think its wise, I leave my privacy settings diabled is it?

Babyfishmouth

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 03:23:59 PM »
Ok, i 'think' I've fixed it!?!?!
When I went in to the AVAST 'ON-ACCESS PROTECTION CONTROL' box, I noticed the webshield re-directed port was still on 80 ? So I changed it to 'port 12080' (as in the browser tutorial) and it seems to be ok now????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »
That is incorrect, it should be on port 80, that is the port that is 'redirected' to the localhost proxy port 12080. Effectively all you have done it disable web shield as http requests are not on port 12080.

Check the avast4.ini file as mentioned above as I suspect you answered NO to the compatibility question. You will then need to manually set your browser/s to use the web shield proxy as in the tutorials above (if you didn't do previously it would tend to confirm you answered NO incorrectly).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:54:15 PM »
Ok, i 'think' I've fixed it!?!?!
When I went in to the AVAST 'ON-ACCESS PROTECTION CONTROL' box, I noticed the webshield re-directed port was still on 80 ? So I changed it to 'port 12080' (as in the browser tutorial) and it seems to be ok now????
Well, if you don't change your browser proxy settings, you just disable WebShield scanning, telling to it to just scan communication at a port that is not listening nothing...
Does WebShield panel show the last scanned file when you use these settings? I think not...
The best things in life are free.

Babyfishmouth

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 04:38:58 PM »
Well I have deleted the incompatability line as you sugested (although it did have =0 written by it?) When does it ask me te question again??
And I will change the port back to 80 on the AVAST 'ON-ACESS PROTECTION CONTROL' Box then?!?!

Babyfishmouth

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »
YEAAY! Its all good it would seem. Deleted imcopatibility line, then got asked about zone alarm compatibility again, pressed yes this time, and it all seems to be ok now ???? Thanks DavidR.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »
No problem, glad that I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

The compatibility link should have been =1 with the Pro version, e.g 1=use compatibility mode, disable the transparent proxy. You will need to set-up the browser manually for it to use the web shield proxy if you haven't already done so (see tutorials)