Author Topic: Smart Home Risks w/Ethernet-Modem...Really??  (Read 1822 times)

Offline gregcovy

Smart Home Risks w/Ethernet-Modem...Really??
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:07:02 AM »
Hi,  I'm reaching out in hopes that someone in the Avast Forum will be able to sort something out for me.

Each time I run Avast AntiVirus scan, I'm presented with this warning in the final "Smart Home Risks" section: "Each of these devices on your network is a potential risk, giving hackers a way into your router, your network, and your life."

I'm wi-fi free in my home. I prefer to be after researching harmful effects of mm waves et al...being bombarded by the electric company's smart meter pulsations (without my informed consent btw) and whatever I'm exposed to in public is bad enough...so I choose to hard-wire my computer through a CISCO modem...w/NVIDIA nForce, ethernet connection exclusively.

Doing so obviously doesn't present any risk to a hacker through a router...so I'm curious what sort of risk that piece of equipment poses to my network and/or life...as those would seem to be accessible only through direct hacking through the modem into my computer and on-line activity.  Pretty slim likelihood, I mean, who tf am I to target that way right?

If it turns out that my specific set-up does not present that sort of risk...if someone could provide direction as to how I might avoid getting that scan warning, that'd be awesome!
Any clarification you could provide to further inform me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, and blessings!

P e a c e    t h r o u g h    L o v e   .    .    .   J u s t i c e    t h r o u g h    T r u t h

"The first duty of a Man and of the King is the seeking after and the investigation of Truth." - - Cicero

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Smart Home Risks w/Ethernet-Modem...Really??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
Each time I run Avast AntiVirus scan, I'm presented with this warning in the final "Smart Home Risks" section: "Each of these devices on your network is a potential risk, giving hackers a way into your router, your network, and your life."

I assume that results from you doing a "Smart Scan".
I do not use that regularly as these days it seems to be just a method of promoting paid products, so have not seen it myself. In this case I assume they are pushing VPN or Omni.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:23:52 PM »
Hi,
 if your router is poorly secured, e.g. no or weak password, it can be hacked even through your browser and its settings can be modified. This might include things like installing a content modification proxy (happened with Mikrotik routers in the past), modifying your DNS settings which may lead you to malicious phishing sites (very frequent, especially in certain parts of the world), installing malware that scans your local network (even over the cable) and spreads further (Mirai variants for example), modifying your port mapping settings and thus opening your PC to the world (provided you have public IP). Just a few ideas that already happened to others - no wifi required for these.

See: https://decoded.avast.io/threatintel/router-exploit-kits-an-overview-of-routercsrf-attacks-and-dns-hijacking-in-brazil/
https://decoded.avast.io/threatintel/2019-predictions-the-internet-of-vulnerable-things/

Offline gregcovy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »
Hey rocksteady and Lukor...thanks for your detailed replies!  Couldn't find a way to reply to each of you independently so this is a combined response.

I am curious...you say router...I only have a modem with no integrated router...so the wireless aspect is what I was associating with the "Smart Device" scan portion of (yes, you are correct) the Smart Scan that I typically run.  Sure, I agree with you that it seems plausible that scan is merely a marketing ploy with very few if any real tangible benefits.  I have never had a scan hit on malware...running malwarebytes on auto @start-up and in background constantly along with Avast provides warnings, blocks and quarantines on rare occasions when something nefarious on the web doth creep too close...with an emphasis on Creep! Haha, so that's always good.

I have had app update notices.  Those are helpful but minimally of course.  I never use their internal update engine...but respond to the notice by going directly to the software provider's site or the app itself to access update downloads and install.  I appreciate your willingness to offer vollies for folks like me who just want to do the best they can to protect themselves - even though my activity is certainly waaay on the low end. 

So you're saying that even a modem...without being a wi-fi router...having only an ethernet hard-wired connection and the ISP coax cable to the house...is still exposed to risks of being hacked if I understand you correctly.  That takes me back a few years when I was setting up modem account...so if I get you right you're saying I should go revisit my Cisco modem device set-up/management and update/change/craft a stronger password...is that right?

Other than that...it seems you're implying that running the full scan is really the only scan of value...and I would of course avoid this Smart Device scan warning right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »
Hey rocksteady and Lukor...thanks for your detailed replies!  Couldn't find a way to reply to each of you independently so this is a combined response.
<snip quote>

You can use the Quote button on each of the posts (icon and Quote text top right of posts), see attached image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline gregcovy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:00:15 PM »
<snip quote>

You can use the Quote button on each of the posts (icon and Quote text top right of posts), see attached image.
Ahaaa!  Thanks DavidR! Understanding the specific vernacular in any group's lexicon of communication is always vital...of which links and symbols are certainly an active part...and I simply didn't know so now I will going forward, yay!

If I'm interpreting your avatar correctly - it seems you're listed (confessing in code I suppose?) to being certainly or definitely bot...are you paid for as well? Hmmm?haha

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 10:29:13 PM »
You're welcome.

The Certainly Bot, is a forum post related term, relating to post this often you must Certainly be a Bot.  I have been helping on the forums for a very long time ;)

Such as Super Poster and Advanced Poster of the other participants in the topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security