Author Topic: avast! Antivirus Mac Edition - betatesting  (Read 11594 times)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
avast! Antivirus Mac Edition - betatesting
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »
Hallo,

in few hours, avast! Antivirus Mac Edition will be made available for betatesters.

If You:
- have Intel or PowerPC based Mac
- have Mac OS X 10.x installed
- are skilled enough to report eventual issues in exact and reproducible way
- are willing to help us with betatesting

... then write to cimbal@avast.com to get additional info. Your help will be very appreciated.

Regards,
Pavel Cimbal

===
Please, note that this version is NOT intended for final use or spreading, it's intended for testing purposes. So if You are just curious how avast! for Mac looks like or you are eager to have avast! installed on Your Mac this is not the right moment for You yet :) - the official release will follow very soon.
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

LaFemmeMichele

Re: avast! Antivirus Mac Edition - betatesting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:30:40 AM »
Glad to hear Avast for Mac on the way! Just read tonight re availability of Symantec, McAfee, Sophos & another (free) I can't recall for Mac.

Mac with no AV may be safer than Windows with, but it's certainly not impenetrable. I recall reading the SANS Top 20 for 2006 re this.

I've wondered how running parallel/Windows on a Mac affects its security.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:48:52 AM »
The other free on is ClamXav based on the open source ClamAV engine

when you are running parallels you are running windows so you are open to all windows malware attacks.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »
Mac Genius,

Hi there! Which AV do you personally run with OS X, if any?

And wouldn't you simply go online while in OS X if you were running a Mac with Windows on it as well? Couldn't you run them on different partitions or something? If the answer is no for Parallels what about Bootcamp?

Michele
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:53:01 AM by LaFemmeMichele »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:32:06 AM »
I will use Avast for my Mac AV program when it goes final.

Boot Camp has a seperate windows partition
parallels makes a Disk Image for windows OR it can use the Boot Camp partition
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »
So no antivirus now, then?

That was a bit over my head!

I guess what I want to know is if you put Windows on a Mac could you avoid all the Windows security software if you only went online while in OS X? Probably not, right? Due to updates alone Windows would need to connect to the net.

Do you need a separate AV, FW, AS, AT, HIPS,.. on the Mac for Windows & then an AV for OS X?

Maybe it would be better to keep Windows off!

Re purchasing pre Leopard-- it would be preferable to wait until it's out & on the box & I understand major Apple software will be upgraded at the same time. Do we know yet a release date? When is Spring?!! Did Steve Jobs mention it today?

I saw that iPhone on television tonight & I sort of forgot it was a phone while watching! Wow! Four or five devices in one & it's really attractive. :)

Thanks!

Michele

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:32:35 AM »
its best to leave windows alone but for some they NEED windows and that is what bootcamp is for. No we dont have a release date, Apple said spring for Tigers release and it came in April

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »
Thank you for always being so helpful!

meinrosebud

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:59:51 AM »
Aw, see what happens when your looking the other way! I have shot off an e-mail but I suppose I'm too late.
I have used Avast! for many years and now that I have moved over to Mac I feel that I have come to trust Avast! to do the right thing by my PC and I would like to continue this relationship on my Mac. ;D

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:47:50 AM »
Avast for Mac will be out when its ready. I have the beta and its looking good, its even a Universal Binary so it runs on PowerPC and Intel Just give the Avast team time to polish it up

meinrosebud

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
I will look forward to its release. The Avast! people always do a great job with their products. :)

meinrosebud

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 05:10:03 AM »
Any news  ???

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 04:58:27 AM »
Just to update everyone following this thread the release is currently anticipated for March. See This Post for more info.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »
May I ask if Avast for Mac will be available in the Apple Store ??
Or is Alwil going to keep that "Box-Free" Strategy ?

Thanks

Al968