Author Topic: Question for Comodo users  (Read 12184 times)

SNOWHITE

Question for Comodo users
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:56:41 PM »
Process Explorer shows that CPF is using 97-99% cpu usage. This doesn't look normal to me, is anyone else having problems? My cpu is really slow sometimes :( Also i have to wait for applications to get opened for few seconds, and i am getting pop ups most of the time about suspicious behavior of avast! setup :-\
Does anyone have idea on what is wrong here? Any advice?

Thanks!
Edit: Now it shows 100% CPU USAGE
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:59:01 PM by SNOWHITE »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question for Comodo users
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »
If it were using anything like that percentage your system would be at a crawl with huge pauses if you try to do or open anything else. If that isn't apparent then it is unlikely that your firewall is working at 97% plus CPU percentage.

You would certainly have problems surfing as avast would also be demanding a slice of the action.

Having never used Comodo, you need to have it completely allow avast.setup, what is the suspicious activity it is questioning ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:21:21 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SNOWHITE

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »
...your system would be at a crawl with huge pauses if you try to do or open anything else...
That is exactly what is happening :-\

Here is the screen shoot from the message

SNOWHITE

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 12:40:11 AM »
And in the Logs it says:
Applications Behaviour Suspicious Behaviour (avast.setup)
BTW I have set it up Comodo to allow avast setup, but its still asking me the same :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:46:17 AM »
And in the Logs it says:
Applications Behaviour Suspicious Behaviour (avast.setup)
BTW I have set it up Comodo to allow avast setup, but its still asking me the same :'(
avast.setup is a temporary file used by avast to update. It could change when there is a program update.
But, if you start updating automatically, by the interface (skin), by the icon... Comodo will consider 'different parent' application and ask for allowing connection.
The best things in life are free.

SNOWHITE

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »
Tech, my Ashampoo Antispyware is updating few times in the day, and so far Comodo did not reported me any messages of this kind  ???

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 01:16:29 AM »
Tech, my Ashampoo Antispyware is updating few times in the day, and so far Comodo did not reported me any messages of this kind  ???
That's because the update from Ashampoo isn't a temp. file. It's the same program each time.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 01:27:31 AM »
Firstly did you click allow (this behaviour checking is different to the normal allow avast.setup) ? as that IP address in the screenshot is an avast.com location ?
Secondly as Tech mentions avast.setup isn't a permanent file and this may be throwing Comodo, although this is the same for other users of avast and comodo. If this were the case then there would be many others with this problem, which we aren't seeing in the forums.

The first part of the information in the screenshot may also have hit fairly close, if avast.setup has crashed or has hung then it is likely that you may have a high CPU usage. You should check Task Manager or process explorer to identify if it is avast.setup hogging the CPU % if so kill the avast.setup process if you can or shutdown other programs and reboot.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised about the either or possibility avast.setup crash or kernel level hooking (I would have thought Comodo would have been able to determining any kernel level hooking).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SNOWHITE

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 01:52:23 AM »
Firstly did you click allow (this behaviour checking is different to the normal allow avast.setup) ? as that IP address in the screenshot is an avast.com location ?
Firstly Yes i clicked the allow button, i clicked it every time when Comodo was popping up with that...

You should check Task Manager or process explorer to identify if it is avast.setup hogging the CPU % if so kill the avast.setup process if you can or shutdown other programs and reboot.
Secondly, i already checked the Process Explorer and it showed that only cmagent.exe was hogging  97-99%the CPU  as i said before, and that process is from Comodo.
BTW avast usage is so low something like 3-4%, that i can hardly see the process in PE, and even if was something wrong with avast, i dont think that i would be able to terminate the process, because i have antikill installed on my cpu...
Anyway i just uninstall Comodo :-\ i like it but its driving me crazy in this moment, so i installed ZoneAlarm again, and guess what the computer is running perfectly normall now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:10:23 AM by SNOWHITE »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 02:48:58 AM »
Shame that you have to keep clicking away, I suppose it might be possible to somehow accept all, or remember all, but that may change for each different IP address.

Well if cmagent.exe is hogging all the CPU % avast.setup is unlikely to be able to do much in the way of checking for updates, nor would the security alert check get a timely response from it either, so that might be why the pop-up occurs.

I've done a google search for cmagent.exe and there are lots of hits, not related to Comodo, that this is

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_c.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/CMAGENT.EXE-1153.html
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?letter=C&filter=&count=50&offset=450

Are you sure this is a part of Comodo as virtually everything I found points to it being part of CyberMedia inc, now McAfee and not an essential start-up program. Some also point to it causing crashes in textbridge.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
i already checked the Process Explorer and it showed that only cmagent.exe was hogging  97-99%the CPU  as i said before, and that process is from Comodo.
I have this two or three times last week.
Tried to uninstall and install again. Tried to use the beta version.
I give up on Comodo... something strange with avast. I'll wait the new version of it.
Right now, only Windows XPSP2 firewall  :o
Browsing is faster  ;D

SNOWHITE

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 01:30:11 PM »
Hi David and Tech ;D
Are you sure this is a part of Comodo as virtually everything I found points to it being part of CyberMedia inc, now McAfee and not an essential start-up program. Some also point to it causing crashes in textbridge.
I misspelled the name of the file, sorry i cant remember what was the name, but i am absolutely sure that it was belonging to Comodo, as i was monitoring my system with Process Explorer by Sysinternals, and i checked there what was  hogging all the CPU, sad but it was CPF :(
I give up on Comodo... something strange with avast. I'll wait the new version of it.
I will stay with Zone for now and i will also wait for new version of Comodo, i hope that they will come up with some solution on this problem.

mauserme

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
I misspelled the name of the file, sorry i cant remember what was the name ...
cmdagent.exe I believe

I wonder if using the option to "Send to COMODO for analysis" would help us all in the long run.  I would do it but I cannot duplicate the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »
I wonder if using the option to "Send to COMODO for analysis" would help us all in the long run.  I would do it but I cannot duplicate the problem.
I think this option is for they to say if the application is a legit one or a malware. Not to analyse the cpu usage of it. Even less, if the file is from Comodo itself  ::)

SNOWHITE

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 08:39:59 PM »
cmdagent.exe I believe

Yes, that is the right name of the file!
Thank you mauserme

Edit: I think that the problem is something between Comodo and avast maybe, but i am not sure, possible some incompatibility, maybe has something to do with Antikill, i dont know i am just guessing...   Comodo tried to overtake my cpu ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:49:04 PM by SNOWHITE »