Author Topic: Avast 4.7 slows computer on start up and on line opening web pages  (Read 3195 times)

kris0082

I'm using a Dell desk top with windows XP, and a dial up on AOL (in a rural area that is the best available).  Last year I downloaded Avast for Home for the first time, and was very pleased with its performance.  I noticed no difference in how the computer ran after the installaion.  When that license ran out a month ago, I downloaded Avast 4.7.  Since then the computer is very slow starting up when I first turn it on, and also when I open pages on the Web.  My internet connection speeds have not changed either.
What is 4.7 doing to my computer, and how can it be speeded up again?

NickGolovko

Re: Avast 4.7 slows computer on start up and on line opening web pages
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:49:14 AM »
Was the uninstall of previous version complete? Have you tried reinstalling the program?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »
What is 4.7 doing to my computer, and how can it be speeded up again?
Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity level? High or Normal?
Maybe you can disable (custom) to not scan open/created/modified files...
The best things in life are free.

enviouz

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:05 PM »
going off of what NickGolovko stated. what av or security suite have you prevously used? some require special additional steps for total removal beyond using add/remove programs (if not totally uninstalled they tend to hamper the proformance of other avs).

kris0082

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:24:09 AM »
No, I did not delete the old version of avast, but when I check add/delete it only shows one avast antivirus, and it is the 4.7 version.  The security setting is on 'normal'.  any other thoughts?

kris0082

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:27:15 AM »
Also, I have not tried to delete avast and reinstall it.  I am not opposed to doing that, but at my slow dial up speed, it takes over one hour to download.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:47:15 AM »
 :)  Hi :

What other computer security program(s) do you have on your computer ?
     Dell has a reputation of putting many unnecessary programs on a computer; someone has
     developed a program to remove them, called the "PC  De-Crapifier". It was originally called the
    "Dell De-Crapifier" & there is info on this @ www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/  .

During the 1st year you had Avast, did you never receive a "popup" announcement that there
      was a "new" version of Avast ? There have been 8 different "versions" of Avast during 2006 .

On this forum, some call AOL "AOLHell"; many different ISPs are discussed on several forums at
      www.freedomlist.com; perhaps you may find one better then AOL there !?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
When you downloaded it, did you save it to your computor? If you did, then you can use that download to re-install it.