Author Topic: Avast using too much memory?  (Read 16323 times)

stevejrc

Re:Avast using too much memory?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 02:51:11 AM »
memory defraggers work well with win98.   win2k/xp is supposed to be better with memory handling and doesnt really need it (knows when to free memory up better) (according to speedguide). good for games etc!

that link is the best memory defragger, most others need silly max/min settings and dont work very well, this ones auto and very good at it.  
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fastdefrag.html
____

also - this software below defrags system files/registry at bootup which standard windows defrag cant, popular too, speeds up system and shutdown: (my system files were heavily fragmented before this!)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

(It says for win2k/xp though, not sure if theres similar thing for win98)

Culpeper

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 02:54:33 AM »
I've already installed the memory defrag program!  Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

Liz

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 03:28:54 PM »
Thought I would update you on my conflict problem between Avast and CallWave internet answer machine.  I am getting a message saying I do not have enough memory to play my messages ater they are downloaded to my computer, but this only happens when avast is running.

I used the memory defragger that Steve recommended.  Thanks to your help on this forum,  I figured out that my friend's 128 mg of ram memory would work in my computer, and yesterday my son came home from college and showed me how to install the new memory myself!  It took about 5 minutes, wow, now I feel like a computer techie :D We also discovered that my hard drive memory was about used up, so I deleted a bunch of files and freed up a few gigs.  

All this and STILL I get the same message that my computer does not have enough memory!!  My son said it might be a conflict in drivers. He also said that Avast seems to work like a firewall in some ways and that could be the problem.  I could not use McAfee firewall and CallWave together at all.

However, though my son could not resolve the conflicts between these two programs, he figured out a quick and simple work around that allows me to listen to my messages by going into the Callwave folder where the messages are stored and clicking directly on the sound files, so basically my problem is solved anyway!

And even better, my computer runs really fast now with my extra 128 mg of ram!

So I'm really happy...Thanks all of you for your help.  I wouldn't have got this far without you!

Liz

Culpeper

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 06:07:58 AM »
I did some quick research on Callwave.  It seems to have problems with some firewalls for some reason.

Isn't Callwave subscription based.  Maybe contacting them with the problem might lead to a solution.

http://www.callwave.com/members/help/ccResponse.asp
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 06:24:16 AM by Culpeper »

Liz

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 12:30:27 AM »
Thanks Culpeper,

Yes, I pay for CallWave but they don't really give telephone tech support, that I know of, and whenever I have contacted them for help their email tech people seem not to read my emails (answer questions I didn't ask, but don't give me any real help), or just say it's the other program's fault.  

However, I did just send them another message through the link you provided.  Can't hurt to try again!

Where did you read about CallWave having problems with firewalls?

:)
Liz

Culpeper

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 12:34:35 AM »
I did a google search on Callwave and went through some other forums.  The Callwave site itself has recommendations to lower the security level of various firewalls so Callwave can work properly.

Liz

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 01:22:39 AM »
Hmmm...now why didn't I see that when I went all over their site looking for help... :-\

Thanks!