Author Topic: Need removal instructions on Win32Mydoom(Virus beggining to take effect)  (Read 5713 times)

mehicd2

My computer was infect with Win32 myDoom a couple of days ago.  I put it in my virus chest.  Just yesterday, My friend told me that I sent a virus to him containing Win32 My doom.  Luckily, my friend wasn't mad becuase he knows about the virus.  So basically, i need removal instructions for the virus.  I locked down my Adress Book to try and prevent it from mass-mailing the virus to my friends. My Avast! anti-virus program wasn't able to repair the virus.  And I reported the virus too a couple of days ago but the support team still haven't found an anti-virus solution.  The virus is just sitting now in my Virus Chest.  I need removal instructions ASAP becuase I don't want the virus to spread.  What also strange is that Symantec, the makers of Norton AntiVirus, haven't yet identifed the virus.  Please help!

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Need removal instructions on Win32Mydoom(Virus beggining to take effect)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 05:54:53 AM »
You can use this tool, please disable Avast while using it, or use the tool in Windows safe mode.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Oh, i see that the Avast cleaner is able to clean that one, too. If the cleaner included in Avast is not actual enough, download  it here: http://download4.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe
MfG Ralf

whocares

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 12:07:33 PM »
if the above shouldn't work,please post the complete path and exact filename(s) where the virus(es) are found: see avast's report/log-file ;)

mehicd2

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 04:54:49 AM »
I can't download anything becuase my computer is fed up.  It has a small memorizy size and often crashes.  Is there a way that Avast will get an update and i will be able to eliminiate the virus through my avast anti-virus?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »
The virus (as most other similar viruses do today) fakes the address of the sender - so, is your friend really sure that it was you who sent him/her the virus? Anybody else who has your address in Outlook (Address Book, e-mail, or also other kinds of documents on the disk) may got infected and start spreading the virus with your address in the "From" field.

If avast! doesn't find the virus anywhere on your disk, then you are not infected (if you have the latest virus database, of course - currently, it's 0401-9). The file in the Chest is "safe" - it is certainly not spreading.
If the virus is active in memory, the resident protection should catch it - and in this case, it should offer you to "Remove the virus from the system completely" (a new big button in the virus dialog). It would start the integrated avast! Virus Cleaner.