Author Topic: FIX THE BUGS!!!  (Read 1654 times)

Offline maxsmar

FIX THE BUGS!!!
« on: March 26, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »
Here is the thing. I don't mind you people stealing/selling our data in exchange for a good free AV. HOWEVER, I *DO* friggin mind when the AV is buggy.
There are TWO issues that have been broken for a *VERY LONG TIME*:

#1 The first one is that when the antivirus is "Disabled until computer is restarted" THERE IS NO INDICATION in the icon in the Task Bar. NONE. The icon DOES NOT change, indicating that the antivirus is active when it is not. Hovering over the icon indicates that it IS active, when it is NOT!!!! The only way to find out is by opening the User Interface, then Menu, then Settings, then Protection, then Core Shields where it FINALLY can be see that the antivirus is indeed disabled. THIS HAPPENS IN Windows 7 AND Windows 10.

#2 The second bug is that if one chooses the option "Disable permanently", the antivirus REACTIVATES ITSELF after reboot!!!!!

How about taking a little time off from your busy pirating schedule and FIXING THESE FRIGGING BUGS!!!???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: FIX THE BUGS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:13:32 PM »
<snip>
#1 The first one is that when the antivirus is "Disabled until computer is restarted" THERE IS NO INDICATION in the icon in the Task Bar. NONE. The icon DOES NOT change, indicating that the antivirus is active when it is not. Hovering over the icon indicates that it IS active, when it is NOT!!!! The only way to find out is by opening the User Interface, then Menu, then Settings, then Protection, then Core Shields where it FINALLY can be see that the antivirus is indeed disabled. THIS HAPPENS IN Windows 7 AND Windows 10.

#2 The second bug is that if one chooses the option "Disable permanently", the antivirus REACTIVATES ITSELF after reboot!!!!!

How about taking a little time off from your busy pirating schedule and FIXING THESE FRIGGING BUGS!!!???

1:  Well on my avast free version there were more indications than you can shake a stick at, first I got a screen popup to confirm I wanted to do this, when I confirm, I get a red X in a circle over the avast tray icon and i also get a (Widows System) Notification icon in the tray.

I'm still using the last  avast! free 21.1.2449 (build 21.1.5968.561) version, I have yet to update to 21.2.x version.

2:  I didn't test Disable Permanently, I don't really want to go there.  But I don't know why you would do that rather than but it into Passive mode, in AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting.

But it is important to first ensure you are using the latest version, as Asyn is basically implying.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline maxsmar

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?

> Free / Current. FYI this is been so since at least one year, so ALL the current versions going back one year have this problem.

- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)

> Pretty much every version of W7 SP1 + rollup and W10 Home Edition and LTSC

- Other security related software installed..?

None. I even disabled W10 Defender

Offline maxsmar

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »

1:  Well on my avast free version there were more indications than you can shake a stick at, first I got a screen popup to confirm I wanted to do this, when I confirm, I get a red X in a circle over the avast tray icon and i also get a (Widows System) Notification icon in the tray.

I'm still using the last  avast! free 21.1.2449 (build 21.1.5968.561) version, I have yet to update to 21.2.x version.

2:  I didn't test Disable Permanently, I don't really want to go there.  But I don't know why you would do that rather than but it into Passive mode, in AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting.

But it is important to first ensure you are using the latest version, as Asyn is basically implying.

Tx for the input, but please do not post irrelevant info.
I don't give two hoots what is happening with YOUR system, as YOUR system is not MY systems, capishe?
Also, I am not an idiot. Yes, I am using the current version. Yes this problem is widespread. Yes it happens with W7 AND W10. No, there are no other software(s) involved,no security,no AV, no Firewall, no little gremlins dancing on the tip of my mouse, for that matter.

The real problem here is the lousy regression testing that AV is NOT performing.
You see, in software quality practices every time there is a change introduced in a system you are supposed to re-run a battery of pre-exising tests to make sure that the introduced change is not having a negative effect on the rest of the functionality. Clever companies (i.e. NOT AV) do this automatically since it is boooooooring and brain numbing. But not AV. This is CLEARLY not happening here, probably due to lousy/non-exisiting Software Quality Assurance practices.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't mind they stealing my data, but I want something that ACTUALLY WORKS in return.

And no. I won't spam you with meaningless images showing how AV is NOT working. They are pointless.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »
1. Enable debug logging (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Enable debug logging) and reproduce the issue.
2. Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post the File-ID or name of the Support-File here afterwards.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0