Author Topic: IE7  (Read 9766 times)

sputnik365

IE7
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:06:58 AM »
HI,
Avast WebShield is crippling IE
Seems related to number of tabs open and downloading objects
Nearly always get "error on page"
pages either show fairly normally; with images missing; part page and part script or occasionally just script.
Terminating WebShield fixes it.
IE7 clean install as here
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install

Avast uninstall, reinstall, update
Ie7 uninstall, reinstall
Any ideas?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:10:48 AM by sputnik365 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IE7
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:51:49 AM »
Well as you can imagine there quite a few regular forum members using IE7, some under Vista others on XP and I can't recall this problem being reported on the forums.

Whilst I don't use IE7 I do use a multi tab browser, firefox and I don't see this happening.

I would have thought this would have been consistent across the board, so there may be some other interaction going on.
What is your firewall ?
Do you have any other security based programs installed ?

What is the error on page that is being reported ?

Have you tried any other browser and does the same thing happen ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sputnik365

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:15 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply

I have attached an image of this page as rendered with webshield enabled.

I do not think it is anything to do with tabs specifically it's just that with more tabs open it is worse.
Firewall is ZA free
AVG AS SpywareBlaster SpybotS&D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
It was only with ZA Pro, then there have been previous conflicts with its privacy features, this however is usually only seen in pages like logon to yahoo/hotmail, etc and then the conflict caused nothing to be displayed. That shouldn't be a problem with ZA free.

There is definitely a page formatting error, in the past this was associated with non-ie browsers conforming to standards whilst pages were optimised for IE, now IE7 is more standards compliant there have been some sites where this caused some issues. However, this seems more severe than that.

Do you happen to use a proxy to connect to the internet ?

Whilst I don't feel this will have an effect it is certainly worth trying to at least confirm your avast installation is good. Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

Other than that all I can suggest is trying another non-ie based browser Opera or Firefox with the web shield enabled and test the same pages and see what happens.

Last suggestion after all others:
You could disable the transparent proxy for the Web Shield but leave it running and manually set IE7 to use the proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case). Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= change the value to =1.  Save the edited avast4.ini file. This can easily be reversed after the test by changing it back to 0.

Manual setup to use the web shield proxy. Whilst the IE tutorials relate to IE6, you should hopefully be able to find the same in IE7.
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jamesvaul

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:57:34 PM »

I uses Webshield with IE7 and it works fine. Check your firewall rules
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:01:16 PM by jamesvaul »

sputnik365

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:45:02 AM »
Hi David
Thanks
Firefox is the same.
Just going to try the last suggestion.
Forgot to mention that on each refresh the same page displays differently if that's any help.
james: thanks but this is not a firewall issue :-\
hmm..going to disable firewall just in case :)
OK firewall ruled out
I am fairly sure that images on the page are the problem
Regards
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 06:52:11 AM by sputnik365 »

sputnik365

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 07:08:50 AM »
Hi David
"Do you happen to use a proxy to connect to the internet ?" no.

This text does not exist in the .ini (also searched the alwil folder) "ZoneAlarmCompatibility"
Also searched the alwil folder
Regards
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:11:47 AM by sputnik365 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 07:20:21 AM »
Extract from my avast4.ini

Code: [Select]
[WebScanner]
EnableLogging=0
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0
Optin=1

Just to show you the ZoneAlarmCompatibility line

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:39:44 AM »
This siunds like an issue that requires feedback from the ALWIL team
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

sputnik365

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »
Alan here's mine

[WebScanner]
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
[AAVM]
EventLogAnalysed=1
CheckFloppies=0
CheckCDRom=0
CheckRemovables=0
ShowTaskbarIcon=1
AnimateIcon=1
CheckFullScreenApps=0
[MailScanner]

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:30:28 PM »
There most certainly should be a zone alarm compatibility line since you are using Zone Alarm free it should be ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 so you should edit the avast4.ini file and add that line to the [WebScanner] section. This should retain the avast web shield transparent proxy and you shouldn't need to manually set the browsers to use it.

With that missing line it may be that your installation wasn't a complete success.

Did you try the avast repair or reinstall as suggested before ?

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

Uninstall using add, remove programs, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, Install avast, watch out for the compatibility question, answer No, after the install completes reboot.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:33:34 PM by DavidR »

sputnik365

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »
Hi David
Thank you for your help.

This is from here.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18499.0
Tech
avast! translator
avast! Überevangelist

0 is used for ZoneAlarmPro (turn off the transparent proxy mode: you need to manually configure your browser to access Internet).
1 or nothing (deleting the line) is used for ZoneAlarm free (default value, turn on the transparent proxy mode, you don't have to change anything else in the browser to access Internet).

This is from here, the opposite.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
 ???

ZoneAlarmCompatibility   1 Turns on the compatibility WebShield with ZoneAlarm Professional version, i.e., disable the web shield transparent proxy mode with ZoneAlarm firewall because the cookie blocking features of ZoneAlarm is being used. The default is 0 (the value even exist in the default avast4.ini file) in order to turn off the compatibility mode with ZoneAlarm, i.e., the user has ZoneAlarm free firewall and WebShield works transparently. WebShield should be restarted (or whole computer in case of Win98) if this value is manually changed in avast4.ini file.

"Did you try the avast repair or reinstall as suggested before ?" repair. I did reinstall previously. I will try reinstall with method above. Can you install in safe mode?...with networking?

Regards
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 06:49:31 PM by sputnik365 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18499.0
This info was incorrect and I've posted there the correction a long time ago...

avast4.ini file thread was completely updated.
Not only the ZoneAlarmCompatibility value (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960), but new ones were added, default values set to the correct values  ;)

So, the correct info is this one:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »
Sorry but that first link is wrong (as Tech has confirmed), and the correct one is the second understanding avast4.ini link, which was edited on 28 Aug 2006 which is later than one you quoted.

Tech acknowledges the first was wrong in, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18499.msg191128#msg191128.

So if you are seeking something out on the forums and there are further pages to the topic it would be worthwhile to also read those as the initial values given were corrected.

The whole issue of zone alarm compatibility is easy to at first sight misunderstand:
Ignore the what is what for the moment and just think 0 = off and 1 = on, then think what is on of off, the zonealarmcompatibility is on or off. Now think how does avast achieve this compatibility, by disabling the transparent proxy. So to disable the proxy you need to have the zonealarmcompatibility=1 and to use the transparent proxy it should be 0.

The problem is understanding switching on (=1) a positive act to disable something and unfortunately it is too easy to thing of switching on or switching of the proxy, rather than switching on or off the zone alarm compatibility and why you are doing it, ZA Pro compatibility on (1), ZA Free compatibility off (0). Don't think of the consequences of switching on or off compatibility mode just why you need to do it. I hope it is now as clear as mud ;D

sputnik365

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 01:32:37 AM »
OK, thanks Dave and Tech.

That is what I would assume. Compatibility Y/N 1/0
The info came from the top result on google for "ZoneAlarmCompatibility" and I had to ask. :)

More info, after reinstalling avast in safe mode (using the clean up tool you linked to) everything worked fine. :)
Run LadbrokesPoker and all messed up again. ???
Using ProcessGuard, and Ladbrokes only has permission to run.
Any idea what could be corrupted and how?

The latest Avast must not write the ZA stuff in the .ini if using ZA free edition as it is still not there and seems OK to delete it if using ZA free.

fyi ladbrokes is a reputable company.

Thans again for your help and time
Regards