Author Topic: VRDB  (Read 4523 times)

z-vet

VRDB
« on: February 03, 2004, 12:11:37 AM »
Hi, ALL. I installed avast! yesterday and see one strange thing - VRDB generation running and running. If i understand it well, VRDB is just database containing information about all my files. Well, i have two big harddisks (80+120 Gb),and i know it may take some time to scan them all, but it looks too long... The question is if this behaviour is normal and how long it may take.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:VRDB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 12:20:18 AM »
this process may take hours upon hours depeding on the amount of data you have on those 2 big drives of yours
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 12:51:47 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Yuna

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 12:37:05 AM »
I have a 80 GB hd how long would it take mine to compile?

Soxin04

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 05:48:01 AM »
I'm in the same boat.   VDRB has been running for several hours and my machine is crawling so slow I can't even use it.  Is there a way to pause/resume the VDRB or let it pickup where it left off at a later date??  Or is there any type of progress indicator to give me an idea of how long it will take?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:08:07 AM »
z-vet and Yuna: if you could once let your computer run overnight, it would definitely be enough time to get this job done.

Soxin04: your post kind of surprises me. Are you sure it's the VRDB generator that's slowing down the machine? I mean, there are three options how to activate the generator: manually, when a computer is idle, and when a screensaver is running. I assume you haven't told it to run manually, so only the latter two options apply to you. And both of them shouldn't in any way interfere with your work - they're designed to be paused as soon as you start doing something.

And yes, the generation resumes where it stopped last time (of course, otherwise it would hardly ever complete)...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Soxin04

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I did start VDRB manually, though I did neglect to mention I was running a virus scan on another drive at the same time.  

Is there any way to determine the progress of how far along the VDRB process is?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 08:58:38 AM »
You can only see where it left off. It's in the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file, [VRDB] section, LastFile= entry.

This could give you a rough estimate of how long it's going to take..

BTW running a scan on a second disk? That would explain lot. Generating the VRDB AND running a scanning at the same time will surely make your hard drive spin... :)

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

z-vet

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 08:57:11 PM »
It runs till today... I run it as "Generate VRDB when computer is idle" and my computer is always on.I'm going to work and back,sleeping,nevermind... It's not disturbs me,my machine is pretty fast,but maybe it's some bug or something?
 avast4.ini:
LastFile=C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ahResMes.dll

Few minutes later:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll
So it runs. But why so long?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 09:07:50 PM by z-vet »