Author Topic: ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 causing BSOD again  (Read 7295 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 causing BSOD again
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:20:19 PM »
For users with ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 - it again cause a lot of random crashes (BSOD, XP Pro SP2, problems with srescan.sys) If you experienced this - wait for ZA update, or try another solution. I moved back to Comodo as I saw BSOD several times this day. I'm actually disappointed with ZA as it can't cope with old problems at all.  ???

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 causing BSOD again
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
This is probably again one of those individual system problems.  :'(
One of my systems seems to have no problems while the other
suffers from an occasional BSOD hick-up since updating to the latest version.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »
Version 7 did cause a BSOD when I installed it, but runs fine now. The firewall itself has just been re-branded- only the installation has changed, so there shouldn't be any reason for continuing BSOD's.  ???
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »
  ;D I saw BSOD 5 times that day. One was when opening Thunderbird, another was when changing settings to show BSOD instead restart (I thoungh I'll go crazy when PC was restarting several times) , another opening Firefox, other was random at all  ;D

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 02:41:09 AM »
I haven't used ZA in about a year.  I was happy with it, but I went trying out other fw as I needed one with lower resource usage for my other computer.  I used Jetico for most of that time.  I really liked Jetico, but I never could get it configured for MS updates. I had to be at the keyboard to allow every ms update & allow each install of ms updates.  ZA used to use only 13 mb of RAM.

Just reinstalled ZA & it works just fine. :)  But in now uses 26 to 40 mb of RAM. :(  I only downloaded ZA free fw, but got Kaspersky av & MailFrontier anti-spam with it.  Kav & MF aren't installed & active though.  I guess ZoneLabs are are hoping people will upgrade to the Security suite.  I removed Kav software but no change in RAM use.

ZoneLabs used to use CA's av, but like a lot of others changed to Kav.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:30:56 AM »
I upgraded to ZoneAlarm free v.7.0.302 about four days ago . Been using ZA for few years now .
Firstly I wasn't pleased to see that it was a whopping 38 MB's , with their security suite bundled along with it . Up until yesterday I'd had no problems and was pleased with it's new "look" . Installed some Audio Visual software a day ago and started getting the BSOD  ::) The Windows error message pointed to srescan.sys as the source of crash .At the ZoneAlarm forum there's a note that this will be updated , but I aren't interested in waiting . Totally uninstalled ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 , I mean TOTALLY, every trace , and Re-Installed ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000 .
I've had trouble before with ZA Updates and use this method:
If you are running the free version then turn off ZoneAlarm and rename the folder named "C:\Windows\internet logs" to "oldlogs".
I add to the Target box of the Zone alarm uninstaller Properties box ;( START>Programs>Zone Labs Security>Uninstall ) a space and then /clean , so it looks something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean .
Open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller (the one you changed the
shortcut for) This will get rid of ZA for you. Empty the Recycle bin.
Go to ; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> Software > Locate and delete folder labeled: Zone Labs.
Go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. (C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temp)
Run The Installer for new version of Zone Alarm .
Reboot .
Now go to the new Internet Logs folder and delete it, and then rename the oldlogs folder back to internet logs.

Haven't had any crashes since reverting back to ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000 .

As bob3160 said ; " This is probably again one of those individual system problems."

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:50:11 AM by Abraxas »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
For what it's worth, I installed Comodo Firewall on my three machines recently and like it very much.

Zone Alarm served me well over the years but I just wanted to make the change.

Give it a try--it's FREE.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
Zone Alarm served me well over the years but I just wanted to make the change.
So do I. I'm very happy with Comodo :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
Actually I like Comodo even more - it has user interface I like much more. Especially program rules, it shows only what programs are allowed to connect the net, not as in ZA all program marked with ? mark. I hate what in ZA. Also, Comodo has more advanced features than ZA Free.  ;) Really worth to try.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »
Actually I like Comodo even more - it has user interface I like much more. Especially program rules, it shows only what programs are allowed to connect the net, not as in ZA all program marked with ? mark. I hate what in ZA. Also, Comodo has more advanced features than ZA Free.  ;) Really worth to try.
I agree. I am very pleased with it. :)
printed on 100% recycled bytes