Author Topic: Understanding avast! Behavior Blocker  (Read 2813 times)

bx2tx2002

Understanding avast! Behavior Blocker
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »
My computer does have problems, just deleted a Trojan from the boot sector earlier this week, many files affected by Dowloader.Agent.awf, programs disabled by it.  I have been adjusting the settings in avast to enable me to let it run when it needs to in the background without really bothering my family of users.  However, I get pop ups that I'm not sure how to answer...it shows avast! Behavior Blocker as the title of the pop up DELETE FILE then the lines below list the file that is trying to be deleted (I'm guessing!) then below that is the name of the program trying to delete it.  the buttons I have to choose from are ALLOW, ALLOW All and DENY....I do not know what are good files any more!

The file to be deleted is: Windows\system32\drivers...tmvsthfss.bin
the program deleting it is PcScnSrv.exe (parts of my PC Cillin software have been infected by the Downloader.Agent.awf and have been quarantined.)

How do I respond to the pop-up?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Understanding avast! Behavior Blocker
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:36:46 PM »
You have obviously been tweaking without understanding what will happen, for every option you tick, you will be asked for confirmation, by default these are all unchecked. Set them back to the defaults, see image.

Doing this will cease the pop-ups.

Do you still have Pc-cillin installed ?
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bx2tx2002

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »
Thanks -
I cannot uninstall pc-cillin due to the corruption of the files...some files were being deleted which is why I wanted to approve/disapprove.  Should these ".bin" files be deleted? I understand every program has some files in the ...Windows/system32/   folders~~where can I find out if the files attempting to be deleted can be delted or determine if the pc-cillin files still running haven't been hijacked?

Thanks for your patience, I know a little about these things but not enough~ which can get me in trouble!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
If you have XP or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...'

Don't delete but send to the avast chest, 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

Use a google search for the file names and see what that brings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
I cannot uninstall pc-cillin due to the corruption of the files
I strongly suggest you full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (the best!)
Trendmicro housecall
Ewido
The best things in life are free.