Author Topic: Auto Updates Fail, Manual Updates work fine [SOLVED]  (Read 16248 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DavidR

  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 83559
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Auto Updates Fail, Manual Update work fine
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »
Excuse me for runnig out of the topic, but I got curious about this, could you please say why do you do this? Is it for expect the patches of Windows Update to be more mature? Or did I misunderstand you? I btw observed that Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 accesses Microsoft's site each time I click at Start menu.

The key words were used to "I used to block svchost."
Because windows update used svchost and I didn't want it to keep connecting to check for updates automatically but when I chose to do my updates at which time I unblocked it (also after finding that it did more than just WU). Also as you say I waited for them to mature, a newsletter Windows Secrets is scheduled to appear shortly after Patch Tuesday, this listed the Updates and their impact and if there were any issues.

Now I just disable the Windows Update in 'system properties' until I want it to check.

I have .net framework 2.0 and I can't recall it trying to get out on clicking the start menu. I do know that the last security update for .net framework 2.0 failed and I have never been able to get it to update. So I don't know if that might have some phone home call.

@ zonkman
You as the originator can edit your own Title and that should change it in the Topic listings and all your posts in the topic to Topic Title [Solved], just click modify in your last post and change the Title.
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ avast! free 18.5.2342/ Firefox ESR, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro7.11.0/ DropMyRights/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security
Windows 10 Home 1909 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.6.2420 (build 20.6.5495.561) UI-1.0.544/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro

Offline alantk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Re: Auto Updates Fail, Manual Update work fine [SOLVED]
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »
I got same problem but I have no idea how to config my comodo firewall. Could you post your related comodo rules?
Thanks a lot!!
==========
my comodo settings  (I disalbe avast! web scanner, so no ashWebSv.exe)
ashMaiSv.exe  [allow in/out]
avast.setup     [allow out]
==========


So if you have a similar problem, look into these things closely:

1) Firewall Logs - See if you are denying critical DNS (port 53) traffic.
2) Check to see if your DNS servers are valid and answering queries.

Hopefully this post will help other people from pulling out their hair if they run across this. 

Thanks for all your help out there in Avastland!  Cheers!

Offline adolf

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: Auto Updates Fail, Manual Updates work fine [SOLVED]
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »
Hello, if you are searching for reasons and fixes as to why your automatic updates do not work, but your manual updates do, I have yet another solution. I spent many many hours of research on the forums here, and also had many helpful emails suggesting every fix even remotely possible, from the avast tech support. In the end, it turned out to be something that I had suspected, but didn't manage to thoroughly check out until every other avenue had been exhausted. Including me.

The fix in my case turned out to be in my router settings. I had updated the firmware many months ago, and although it seemed to turn out a bit weird, everything seemed to work. (ie, internet explorer, firefox, other antivirus and antispyware programs, outlook express, etc.) That is, until months later I realized that my avast was not getting automatically updated anymore. To make a long story shorter, it had to do with the internal time and date settings in the router itself. After reflashing the router firmware with another version, i was finally able to make the correct settings stick, and voila, avast was able to auto update again. So obviously the incorrect date and time setting was throwing off avast somehow.

So the moral of the story is, if you are having issues with avast automatic updates, check your router time and date settings in addition to any other fixes. Cheers.

Offline oldman

  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 4143
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Auto Updates Fail, Manual Updates work fine [SOLVED]
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 09:11:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting your solution, I'm sure it will help others.