Author Topic: New problem with free edition  (Read 2084 times)

zagi

New problem with free edition
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »
I use Avast 3 years ago, and i have no problems vith viruses, its a great softvare, BUT 2 days ago when i update new version i get read mesage on my scren like avast  cannot update virus databse.I chek my firewale and its ok, and today i hear from my frend that he had the same problem,and he  chenge Avast  and teke AVG. In that time my computer restarts 4-5 times with no reason.Ned help, whats going on with avast ???
I use win prof origigi, 1 gb ddr and ...
Please somebody HELp me .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New problem with free edition
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:33 PM »

Basically, check the log files (or post the last 100 lines of the logs):
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log

Also check:

1) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired). Home (free) version need registering each 14 months.
    I hope you haven't bought a license from a site on this list: http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html

2) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

3)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
     You can run proxycfg -d in a DOS window to make your computer connect direct, without proxy. You can run proxycfg -h for help.

4) Also you can try changing update service's login account, follow this:
    Open services control panel (e.g. Start->Run, and type: services.msc
    Double-click on avast! iAVS4 Control Service to show properties. Switch to LogOn page.
    Enter administrator account name and password.
    Do the same for avast! Antivirus service.
    Then start update again.

5) The last option, check if the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.
The best things in life are free.