Author Topic: Avast, Mozilla ThunderBird and PopFile?  (Read 4989 times)

Dodo2u

Avast, Mozilla ThunderBird and PopFile?
« on: February 05, 2004, 10:48:08 PM »
I have been using ThunderBird and PopFile with very positive results: a very good separation of "serious mail" from a heap of spam. That was initially in combination with AVG free anti-virus software, under W2k.
I noticed in a VirusBulletin comparison that AVG failed the test. Searching for a different and better free AV-prog I found Avast with a 100% (?) score. I removed AVG, installed Avast and . . . .

Both PopFile and Avast are using 127.0.0.1 as the server address. Apparently this causes a conflict, as I cannot get my E-mail downloaded anymore.

Does anybody know a procedure to get this combination going? Or perhaps a link to a site where I can find more about this issue?

Or, is it maybe impossible to get this combination running at all?

Thanks for any help!

Dodo

bbfi

Re:Avast, Mozilla ThunderBird and PopFile?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 12:19:46 AM »
Dodo2u,

Have not tried PopFile, but I do use Thunderbird and Avast, and I use SpamPal for blocking my spam.  I know that this was difficult to setup and took quite a few tries.  ::)

If I remember right, AVG only works with Outlook Express and not with Thunderbird (there is a beta setup somewhere though for other email clients).  So, I do not believe your emails were being checked for viruses when using Thunderbird.   :'(

If you could give us your setup for ThunderBird and PopFile (don't use your actual passwords or signin name), maybe one of us can figure it out for you.  And then your emails will be safe from spam and viruses.  ;)

thestub

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 06:01:19 PM »
Right, I have Mozilla mail client working...this is the thread that helped!

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2%3baction=display%3bthreadid=2351%3bstart=0

Basically, you need to chain them together.  Have fun.

By the way, doesn't Thunderbird have the same built in Spam filtering as Mozilla 1.6?  I trust in that, and it is 95% effective (I think anyway).  It just takes the effort of enabling it, and marking spam as spam before deleting.  My system is now well trained, and works like a charm!

bbfi

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 06:54:05 PM »
The Stub,

I tried the Thunderbird spam checker for two weeks and got no where with it.  Even with much training, it let 80% spam through on my computer.  :'(

SpamPal (which I use) has more than a 90% accuracy before it was even trained with the Bayesian filter.  That is because it also uses good words, bad words, Blacklists, Whitelists, and other plugins along with Bayesian filtering.  Now it has better than 98% accuracy.   ;D

Basically, you need to chain them together.  Have fun.
Yea, load's of fun.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 12:16:32 AM by bbfi »

hugoboss

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 05:32:14 AM »
somehow it has some problems with mozilla mail scanning (did not detect mydoom). these are from mcafee log

D:\Documents and Settings\windows xp\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\rrmpv20f.slt\Mail\mail\Inbox\0023f3e2.EML ... Found the W32/Mydoom.a.eml!zip virus !!!

the inbox in this case (... \Mail\mail\Inbox\0023f3e2.EML) is not a folder but a file (just inbox), mcafee somehow can scan inside it and avast not ?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 05:39:08 AM by hugoboss »

Iso-G

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 06:30:56 PM »
Hello, I am new here.

I used POPFile with a mailer to make sure of the setting to avast!.
I wish the following setting to help you.

avast!4.1:
POP3 port: 110

POPFile:
POP3 port : 111

Mailer:
POP3 port : 111
UserID(POP3): 127.0.0.1:110:yourID#yourSMTPserver
( you don't have to change any setting for SMTP. )

If you want to receive WEB mail through POPFile and avast,
UserID(POP3): 127.0.0.1:110:yourID#127.0.0.1:port#
( If HotmailPopper uses 8110 for POP3, port# should be 8110.)

A received message had both of  the note of avast! and the index of POPFile.

Iso-G

Iso-G

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 06:33:21 PM »
Sorry,

Wrong :UserID(POP3): 127.0.0.1:110:yourID#yourSMTPserver
Correct:UserID(POP3): 127.0.0.1:110:yourID#yourPOPserver

Thanks,

Iso-G

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 08:06:13 PM »
Hey Iso-G, is it really YOU??? (the jp-guy ;))
Welcome to the forum!! ;D

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.