Author Topic: Windows Vista firewall - Is it a firewall?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Windows Vista firewall - Is it a firewall?
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:40:07 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

The Windows Vista firewall is better than no firewall, but that is all there is to it.
See what some have to say about it:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6690672.html?part=rss&subj=edfeat&tag=Windows+Vista%27s+half-cocked+firewall

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Vista firewall - Is it a firewall?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
Well there is a slight difference to the XP firewall in that there is limited outbound protection, but previously I thought this outbound protection is off by default. It turns out that I was wrong, well sort of, it is on by default but no rules are assigned to block outbound connection only to allow.
Outbound protection is…where?
In an e-mail, Rowan Trollope, Vice President of Consumer Engineering at Symantec, offered this interpretation: "We have discovered that though Vista's outbound firewall is 'on' by default, all outbound connects that do not match a rule are allowed. In the default configuration, there are no outbound 'block' rules, only allow rules. In other words, even though [the Windows Firewall outbound protection is] on, it is not doing anything."

I don't think this was ever going to be a full blown firewall as the anti-trust, monopoly, law suits would still be flying round.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:45:43 PM »
even though i don't have vista...and probably won't for a while...i won't feel secure with the firewall they are offering in vista ::) :o

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0106.mspx

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:48:44 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:27:29 PM »
I'm of two minds on this, For security conscious people(like the regulars on this board) I think inbound protection is enough. We know what's on our computers and what not to do(open e-mail attachments, click on links in e-mails etc.).

We also have our security settings tighter, run A/V and antispyware scans regularly and make sure that we have all updates and patches. But, for the average user, outbound protection is a must as most don't know(or care) what they download or install on their systems.

My step children are a perfect example of this, I'm always getting calls like," I downloaded a new screensaver and now my computer is acting up".
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!