Author Topic: Win32: Trojan-gen, Can't open .exe files.  (Read 9826 times)

thunderpig

Win32: Trojan-gen, Can't open .exe files.
« on: February 07, 2004, 02:43:42 AM »
I downloaded Avast! today because I knew I had a virus problem.  I let it scan and I deleted every file it said was infected.  After the scan, I re-booted my computer and tried to open Yahoo! messenger.  It popped up with this message Windows cannot find 'C:Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Ypager.exe'.  Make sure you typed the name in correctly and then try again.  To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search  I didn't know if the problem was with Yahoo or what.  So I tried to open some more programs and they gave me the same error message.  The only program I was able to open was Internet Explorer.  

Did I delete something I shouldn't have?

I attached the log of things Avast! deleted.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 02:44:38 AM by thunderpig »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Win32: Trojan-gen, Can't open .exe files.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 03:24:15 AM »
the 2 .dll files may be the problem (they look like it to me). all of the system restore files would not have done this. all of those .exe files are trojans. Insert the windows install disk and select "repair" that shoud make everything fine and dandy
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

thunderpig

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 03:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

The thing is though, I bought this computer at BestBuy and a windows xp install disc was not included.  Is there a site where I could download the two .dll's at and then put them in that folder?

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 03:56:33 AM »
I see no download for either  :'( I will try to pull them from my XP machine. IF they are not trojans they will be there
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

thunderpig

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:57:51 AM »
Ok, Thanks! ;D

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:59:19 AM »
I cant find them in the windows folder of my machine!
so the trojan must have  done some damage to your PC. Lets wait for the ALWIL team to comment on this

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »
The trojan has probably associated itself to the exefile type - i.e. it was started with any executable application you ran. Now, when the file is not there anymore, starting apps fails.

Download our avast! Virus Cleaner, please, and try to start it somehow. For example, try to rename it to .COM, or .BAT, or .CMD - and start it (associations for these file types may be OK). Once you manage to start it, it should detect corrupted associations and offer the repair.
Another possibility would be to rename the Cleaner file to the missing file (that was associated) - but I can't tell which one of those four .exe files it was...

thunderpig

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 09:29:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply again.

I saved it as a .cmd and the cleaner is running now.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 09:31:23 PM »
I hope all goes well

thunderpig

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 10:23:28 PM »
Well, it just got done scanning.  It says it didn't find anything wrong, but it must have done something right because all of my programs work now!! ;D

Thank you so much!!  I never would have been able to do it without you guys!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 11:39:29 PM »
Oh, right when you started it, it should show a messagebox saying that it found corrupted associations - asking if you want fix them (Yes/No dialog). If you press Yes in this dialog, it is not necessary to do the scanning, since they are fixed immediatelly.
Maybe you didn't notice what it is asking about? Or the initial dialog was not shown?? ???

thunderpig

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 11:51:57 PM »
I didn't see a yes/no dialog box.  Maybe I checked it without even thinking about it.  I don't know.  All I know is that everything seems to be working ok now! :D

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 12:40:52 AM »
Great!