Author Topic: Scan Times  (Read 2148 times)

WarHorseXJ

Scan Times
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:50:02 AM »
Hello,
I've been an Avast user for a while now, just had a question.  Does this sound right?  11.7 GB scanned, 56284 files, 5512 folders, 28:27 scan time.  Thorough scan, archive file scan disabled.  I can't remember but I thought this setup took closer to an hour when I've done it before.  Also, the last scan I did was Friday, and it said 12.9 GB scanned then.  I haven't touched the laptop since then except to run the scan in question.  Was the scan time increased with the last update?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan Times
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »
It sounds reasonable, quick even, your system must be good. If you introduced archives into the equation it would be much slower and the hour you are talking not far off the mark I would think.

The scanning speed has been improved with the last program update, more so if your system has a core 2 duo processor as there are some optimizations for that processor.

Personally I don't feel you need to do a thorough scan unless you suspect something.

Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security