Author Topic: Virus found notification  (Read 2185 times)

trooper95

Virus found notification
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:41:57 AM »
New user here with a general question:

Is it possible to set the virus scanner to automatically place found viruses is the Virus Vault without that annoying alarm going off?

I had this running through the night last night when it found a virus at 3am. Needless to say, my wife was not too happy with that.

Many thanks

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Virus found notification
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
Is it possible to set the virus scanner to automatically place found viruses is the Virus Vault without that annoying alarm going off?

This is a feature that is only available in the Professional version o avast!:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25928.0
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus found notification
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
As Bluesman said this is a function of the Pro version, the free requiring interactive action.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

I appreciate that you detected a virus on your scan so it might not seem overkill for you to have done a thorough scan, but the file type and location may still negate it a little.

What is the virus/malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

It could be a new signature that has been added that now picks up something that was dormant in your system. So the information on it could help us give more advice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security