Author Topic: Avast Demanding All CPU When Receiving Email  (Read 2271 times)

artsnova

Avast Demanding All CPU When Receiving Email
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:29:29 AM »
Hello,

I am running Avast 4.7 on XP Pro and am using Thunderbird 1.5 as my email client.

I have disabled all Avast scanning of email because Avast was bringing everything else on my PC to a grinding halt by sucking up all my CPU while downloading email. Things improved somewhat after that but still whenever I go online to receive email,  Avast is still demanding all my CPU.

I previously was using McAffee with email scanning enabled and never experienced this problem. 

I have just turned off the features scan files on open and scan created/modified files. At this rate I will soon have everything turned off, at which point I might as well uninstall Avast all together since it won't be providing much of any service. 

So, why is Avast such a pig when it comes to email?

Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast Demanding All CPU When Receiving Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:59:44 AM »
Same here and I have (literally) many hundreds of megabytes of Thunderbird mail on my system.  I have the Internet Mail scanner set to high sensitivity.  I never experience any delays with mail processing with avast. 

How?  I do what you are recommended to do all over the Thunderbird support forum and manage Thunderbird mail (which does a terrible job of managing itself). 

Please see this post:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.msg194826#msg194826

Bottom line:

Don't keep it all in the Inbox
Empty the trash
Compact your folders and ... compact your folders and ... compact your folders ... you get the picture.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 06:03:22 AM by alanrf »

artsnova

Re: Avast Demanding All CPU When Receiving Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
Hello alanrf,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. As to my Thunderbird habits, my inbox has just over 1 screen's worth of entries - a rather small quantity of email; I keep the trash empty; I compact folders regularly, especially inbox, junk, and trash.

And note that I never experienced this problem when using McAffee. And do not experience this problem when I shut down Avast. Therefore, I can only assume that it is Avast that is the source of the problem (not to mention that Task Manager shows ashServ.exe at 99% CPU)

So my question still stands.

Thanks, Jim