Author Topic: Avast wants to restart PC everyday - normal?  (Read 13260 times)

kop007

Avast wants to restart PC everyday - normal?
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:42:47 PM »
I'm using the Free edition of Avast.

I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is great.

However, lately, Avast has been asking to restart my PC at least 1 a day (sometimes two).

When I restart my PC it always find a virus, but I can move it to chest.

Is this normal? A bit worried...

This is the virus that keeps coming up when I start my PC:
316   Sign of "Win32:Agent-EWQ [Trj]" has been found in "C:\WINMCE\system32\Kav26.dll\[UPX]" file. 

Many Thanks

Happy-Dude

Re: Avast wants to restart PC everyday - normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
A couple of great years and now daily restarts ? Doesn't seem "normal" to me.

Maybe give us your Avast! versions (VPS and the scanner thing, right click the Avast! Resident Scanner on try and click about. Expand them and take a look). Make sure its updated.

Then again, if that same virus is coming up, try repairing or quarentining until you know where it came from. After you know its safe to delete, delete it. If it comes back again, schedule a boot time scan (time consuming, yes, but it catches many things then).

Hope this helps.

kop007

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the response.

My Avast is: 4.7 JAN2007 4.7.942

VPS: 0716-2

Compilation Date: 02/23/2007 (Today).

I will do a boot time scan also.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
Quote from: kop007
However, lately, Avast has been asking to restart my PC at least 1 a day (sometimes two).

What is the exact message or post a screenshot ?

Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.

This could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kop007

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I haven't deleted reboot.txt yet.

What exactly am I looking for in the setup.txt?

edit: I will take a screenshot next time it happens. But for now it's just a little box in the Avast font and skin that says something like "avast needs to reboot your system - do it now or later' (not those words exactly, but something like that).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:39:03 PM by kop007 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:06:39 PM »
Sorry red herring about setup.txt, I didn't mean to leave that in my cut and paste. But you would have been looking for any reason given for reboot.

You are checking for the presence of reboot.txt, if it exists, delete it, it is only required if a reboot is needed and will be created again when required.

No need for a screenshot now, the message is close enough.

Once reboot.txt is deleted, reboot and see if it is regenerated, if not that should be it, if not we will cover that if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kop007

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »
Thanks, I will do that now.

It just came up again as well :D Had the screenshot ready and everything. ;D

I was actually on the PC and AVAST came up with 'A new version of the virus database has been installed'.

But still, doesn't usually update that often?

Anyway, going to delete reboot.txt now and reboot.

Many Thanks.

kop007

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
Hi,

I just deleted reboot.txt and restarted.

However, the Avast reboot message came up almost INSTANTLY aftr starting Windows. :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and (report the contents here) if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.

Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.

kop007

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »
Hi,

I've had a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager,

there appears to be no 'PendingFileRenameOpertaions'

If I expand the list on the left I get a folder called 'FileRenameOpertaions' with a single (default) file in it.

I really do appreciate your time and help.

Thanks.

Also, obviously I don't want to keep restarting at the moment, am I still protected by AVAST if I choose not to restart when it asks me? It says it is still running when I double click task tray icon.

BonnieM

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:05:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm having the same problem too.  I updated and registered and now it wants to continue restarting my system.  However, I also have the message;
"avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error."  "The operation could not be completed."  Also, the link, "Read more about this problem in FAQ..." seems to be broken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »
@ kop007
This goes beyond my experience, in that the things suggested have in the past resolved the continual restart request. So I feel there may be something else in the mix and it would probably be easier and quicker to do a reinstall, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

@ BonnieM
I updated and registered and now it wants to continue restarting my system.
What is your OS, and why did you need to register ?

Try this link AAVM subsytem detected and RPC error. http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1539 this is usually accompanied by a Red circle over the avast icon ?
It can also be an indication that you have another AV installed or remnants of another AV.
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

You to may be better to try the re-install if my previous suggestions to kop007 don't resolve the problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
I have the same problem with re starts.   It doesn't sound like there is a solution for this, so will go shopping for another AV.   This is not the only reason.   It scanned and found a virus, but it did not tell what it was and I could not find a log or record anywhere.  I do not like to delete anything without knowing what it is.   Both of my PC's Avast must have updated because my desktop is doing the same thing and had one virus, no log.   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 11:48:19 PM »
You realise that you are responding to a topic that is over 9 years old.

If you really are seeking help then I suggest you start a new topic. Give more information on the problems you are experiencing, your system information OS, etc. and the avast version that you are using.