Author Topic: Need Kak-A /Inbox help  (Read 3197 times)

Soxin04

Need Kak-A /Inbox help
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:52:43 AM »
I just downloaded & ran Avast.  Seems like a nice program and not as invasive as Norton, etc.

After running a virus scan, Avast says one of my In-Box folders is infected with the Kak-A worm.  I'd rather not delete the entire in-box and Avast can't seem to repair it.

I changed the setting to *show detailed info on performed action* on the standard shield and went thru each e-mail individually.  I was hoping some details of the affected e-mail would show up so I could try and delete it--no such luck.  Could anyone tell me if there's a way to identify and clean up the source e-mail of the worm?  Or how to remove it w/o losing all the mail in my In-Box?

Also, how does this worm work with an e-mail client like Eudora?

I'm using Eudora 6.0.3
Win 98b

----------------------------
*Update*
I went into my infected in-box in Eudora and moved out about 50 e-mails at a time into a new folder.  I ran a virus scan on *just* Eudora after each move.  I kept moving groups of old e-mails into new folders until I narrowed down the e-mail that probably contained the worm (Virus scan identified the worm in the test folder).  My question now is:  If I have Avast delete the infected folders, can  I re-create a new In-box and move my other mail back w/o dragging along the Kak-A virus?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 10:21:13 AM by Soxin04 »

whocares

Re:Need Kak-A /Inbox help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 12:40:03 PM »
Hi,
why not just delete the virusmail and the test folder from within eudora ? you have to pause avast shield for this, and afterwards empty your trash.mailbox plus compress/compact all your mailfolders,
then it should be gone..

;)