Author Topic: Web Shield and Vista - Problem  (Read 12677 times)

GlossyMighty

Re: Web Shield and Vista - Problem
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Hi Duugi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it has completely solved my problem - Web Shield is now on and all web pages seem to downoad as normal!  Brilliant!

Ian

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
We'll have a pre-release fix of WebShield tonight that will solve the problem even without this hack.
That is, the "netsh" hack is not really recommended because it may slow down your network traffic quite a bit.

Please stay tuned.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
We'll have a pre-release fix of WebShield tonight that will solve the problem even without this hack.
Will it be released as a beta or we'll have an update for the Vista users?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 06:22:09 PM »

GlossyMighty

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »
Thanks vlk,

The update has cured my problem.  I've undone the temporary fix by entering netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal at the command prompt (running as administrator) and Web Shield is back on.  All web pages are downloading at the same speed as with Avast and Windows XP.  It looks as though early adopters of Vista are really just acting as beta testers for Microsoft (or should we be called gamma testers?).

Thanks for the prompt response.

Ian

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »
Thanks. :)

Just out of my curiousity - did you try Firefox (or any other browser than IE7)?
The thing is, I'd say that Firefox wouldn't work either! (with WebShield disabled)

But, with the fixed version of WebShield, it would work OK.
Can you please confirm?

If that's the case, the problem is related to your (or your ISP's) router. How are you connected to the Internet? Which hardware device do you use to connect?

Cheers
Vlk

GlossyMighty

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 09:53:42 AM »
Hi Vlk,

I did try Firefox as well as IE7 when having the problems described above.  Even when using Firefox I couldn't download web pages with the original version of Web Shield, but I believe I could when Web Shield was turned off.  With the fix applied, web pages load ok with both IE7 and Firefox.

I am connected to the internet with a Netgear wireless router model number DG834G v3 (UK version).  I have loaded the beta Vista drivers from the Netgear site - dg834gv3_10Jan07_vista3_3.  Could these drivers be the cause of the problem?  My ISP is VirginMedia (used to be called Virgin Net before merger with the cable provider NTL).

Ian