Author Topic: 4.7-942 Home Edition Keeps Checking Floppy Every Few Seconds  (Read 4322 times)

dknapp

4.7-942 Home Edition Keeps Checking Floppy Every Few Seconds
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:36:16 AM »
My floppy drive makes a sound like a program is telling it to try to read a disk every 15 seconds or so unless I pause the Standard Shield.  Since I rarely have a disk in the drive, this seems hard on the drive and on my nerves.  Is there any way to stop this and still get the on-access scanning to take place if I put a floppy disk in?  It never happened until I started running Avast Home Edition.  It is not a big problem, but it seems to be unnecessary.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 4.7-942 Home Edition Keeps Checking Floppy Every Few Seconds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:39:38 AM »
avast won't seek for floppy unless you set it to scan them.
Aren't any MS Office program opened trying to access the disk?
When does this happen: at any time or after you start an on-demand scanning?
What happens if you disable avast (stop on-access protection), will the floppy access stop?
The best things in life are free.

dknapp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »
I have set it to scan floppy disks on access.  However, there is no disk in the drive.  It is like something is constantly checking to see if there is disk.  The only MS Office program open is Outlook.  I am running XP Home SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:12 AM »
I have set it to scan floppy disks on access.  However, there is no disk in the drive.  It is like something is constantly checking to see if there is disk.  The only MS Office program open is Outlook.  I am running XP Home SP2.
But why do you think this is avast related?
avast checks the floppy when a file is opened/created/modified, the boot sector is read, etc.
But avast does not seek for floppies (only when shutdown and if you set so).

dknapp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:02:24 AM »
Because when I stop the agent, the disk access also stops.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:06:43 AM »
Hope someone from Alwil could help here... I can't go further, I can't imagine what is wrong...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »

If some other file is trying to access the floppy then avast would scan that so it would appear to be avast making the access, there shouldn't be any need for avast to access the floppy other than at shutdown (if you have enabled that option) unless a file needs to be scanned.

Perhaps temporarily turning on the 'Show detailed info on performed actions' in standard shield, that may show what is being scanned (if anything) when this access is occurring.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security