Author Topic: boot scan  (Read 3436 times)

weemac

boot scan
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »
Hi Folks
Just been using version 4.7 for the last few days on Vista Ultimate and I wondered if any kind person could direct me to were I can stop the boot scan. When I installed the software I unticked the option of boot scan, but when I clicked on boot scan schedule in the settings menu I was asked to restart the pc, and now ever since it scans at boot up.

weemac

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: boot scan
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:08 PM »
How to disable scan at boot?
Could you please start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, select the value BootExecute and export it to a file? If you could post the file as an attachment here, I would like to check what could be wrong there.

In XP/Vista, if you press F8 when starting Windows and select 'Last known good configuration' from the boot menu, the boot scan should not be started.

You can find original locations of moved files in the boot-time scan report file (Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt), but there is no easy way to move them back automatically.

If you try to scheduling the Boot Time Scanning twice, you'll be able to unscheduling it.
The best things in life are free.

weemac

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »
Hi There,
Although I can find the part in the registry you want me to send, how do you select only that part. When I exported it to a file I think it exported everything because it was to large for me to send as an attachment.
By the way it said autocheck as the value
weemac

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:10:05 PM »
Hi There,
Although I can find the part in the registry you want me to send, how do you select only that part. When I exported it to a file I think it exported everything because it was to large for me to send as an attachment.
By the way it said autocheck as the value
weemac
Well, thinking better, better than send me, save for backup purposes.
I should write the easier way first: f you try to scheduling the Boot Time Scanning twice, you'll be able to unscheduling it.
Can you start by this method?
The best things in life are free.

weemac

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »
Hi,

I will give it a try and get back to you
Cheers

weemac

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:48:24 PM »
I think the export function actually exports the whole Session Manager key, not just the BootExecute value - that's why it's so big. So, you can lookup the value of BootExecute in the exported file and post it here.
Please backup the file first, before doing any fixing - if there's any problem with parsing the value (resulting in the inability to unschedule the scan), we'd like to fix the problem. On the other hand, I'm somehow afraid the problem is somewhere else... what about the permissions for this key? Did you change anything?