Author Topic: Avast Boot Scan Crashing Computer  (Read 9047 times)

ecamp

Avast Boot Scan Crashing Computer
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:53:04 AM »
I have just recently heard about avast! and i must say i am very impressed. However, i have it scheduled to run a boot scan so when i restarted my computer the boot scan comes up it sits there for a while and before it can even start the scan it forces my computer to restart..ive left my computer on for hours and it just restarts..gets to the scan and then restarts again. At this point i dont care if i can use the bootscan or not i just want to get to my computer. I read the other topic about the boot scans and i dont have a USB keyboard but i do have a USB mouse if that makes any difference..but unlike the other guy i cant even get into my computer at all...me not being able to use the boot scan is the least of my worries.

-E

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Avast Boot Scan Crashing Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:23:42 AM »
Can you boot to safe mode? There may be an option to cancel the boot scan. I'm not on xp so I don't know for sure if this is an option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:56:02 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »
When the boot scanning starts, what happens if you cancel the scanning pressing the key ESC?
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
When the boot scanning starts, what happens if you cancel the scanning pressing the key ESC?

Now that would been very interesting to see that answer please ecamp
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

ecamp

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 02:13:03 AM »
when I hit the escape key nothing happens..it doesnt escape the scan. I have AVG  antivirus just because i recently switched to Avast! and was making sure i was contempt with it and it worked good. They have never been running at the same time however. Also safe mode doesnt work it just restarts like non-safe mode.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 02:46:40 AM »
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

Even if one isn't running there are virtual device drivers, registry Legacy keys that could conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 02:47:32 AM »
when I hit the escape key nothing happens..it doesnt escape the scan.
So, the keyboard isn't working...

I have AVG  antivirus just because i recently switched to Avast! and was making sure i was contempt with it and it worked good. They have never been running at the same time however. Also safe mode doesnt work it just restarts like non-safe mode.
Did you uninstall AVG or just disable it?

Did you have any keylogger application in your computer?

ecamp

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 02:53:10 AM »
just disabled avg and yes my keyboard is working because when i hit delete it goes into BIOS it just wont exit when i hit escape

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:56:31 AM »
just disabled avg
Disable is never enough, never...
Low level applications can't life with other one without conflict.
You need a full uninstall of AVG to test avast...
Well, if you were using Vista, maybe it's a way to have both together...
XP, no way...

and yes my keyboard is working because when i hit delete it goes into BIOS it just wont exit when i hit escape
Is there any possibility of a keyboard works at boot but just before the Windows logon it won't work?

ecamp

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 06:04:16 AM »
there is a chance that the keyboard is working at boot but isnt working during the scan but i dont know how or why

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 06:16:19 AM »
Safe mode doesn't work...so can you get to the dos screen?(command prompt)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
@ecamp

Just another thought. Do you have an xp disk? You may be able to run xp's recovery consel. from there you can do some limited tasks.

ecamp

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »
i can get into the DOS BIOS screen w/e its called but no i dont have windows xp recovery cd

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 04:03:36 AM »
It would seem you need a way to boot your computer independant of xp. A bootable disk or cd might be the answer.

You can make one here  http://bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm  If your file system is ntfs, method one would do it. Hopefully, some one will be able to supply the name of the avast file that needs to be removed/modified to prevent the bootscan from starting.

I think once you can get your computer to boot normally it will be just a matter of removing avast or avg.

Post back if you need another type of boot disk.