Author Topic: Traffic shaping?  (Read 4720 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Traffic shaping?
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:04:08 AM »
When viewing  any flash, quicktime or WMP based streaming video site I can hear sound fine but the video is like 2 frames per second! This happens on Ubuntu 6.10, OS X 10.4.9 and on XP SP2. Sound like traffic shaping to you? Charter Communications is my ISP Speed is supposed to be 3mbps this just started happening in the past week
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Negeltu

Re: Traffic shaping?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:58:19 AM »
Happens to me on Ubuntu sometimes.  Depends what the site is, but it usually happens with flash videos for me.  That and OpenGL performance is awful.  I need to update my graphics drivers.  It's a pain though...so I procrastinate.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:19:47 AM »
When viewing  any flash, quicktime or WMP based streaming video site I can hear sound fine but the video is like 2 frames per second! This happens on Ubuntu 6.10, OS X 10.4.9 and on XP SP2. Sound like traffic shaping to you? Charter Communications is my ISP Speed is supposed to be 3mbps this just started happening in the past week

When I had Charter there was no problem, But since they were bought by Suddenlink I have nothing but problems with my connection. Which is why in my area they're known as "Suddenstink"
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:10:15 PM »
I don't think this is traffic shaping as that normally doesn't get used on http traffic. Traffic shaping is more normal on P2P traffic, where there is a high server load/bandwidth hit on the ISP.

My traffic is permanently shaped and hammered flat to get through a very narrow dial-up pipe ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:22:43 PM »
My traffic is permanently shaped and hammered flat to get through a very narrow dial-up pipe ;D

Funny.  :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:15:47 PM »

When I had Charter there was no problem, But since they were bought by Suddenlink I have nothing but problems with my connection. Which is why in my area they're known as "Suddenstink"

Same here marc, Im thinking of getting DSL. This month Charter charged me a $5 Modem lease fee despit the fact that I bought this modem from them 3 years ago!  They finally refunded it after about 40 min on the phone
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
Had the same problem about a year ago. I bought a SB5100 from Circuit City because I was tired of paying their"rental" fees. Every month for THREE months I had to call and remind them that I owned my Modem and get them to take the rental fees off my bill.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!