Author Topic: Cannot get rid of virus  (Read 12818 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot get rid of virus
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 02:47:19 AM »
But.... my computer is now running so slow its ubelievable ... what have I introduced to cause this.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

This could cause conflict as they both fight for control over what AV locks a file prior to scanning it, this could cause the slowing you mention.

Unless you are talking about AVG Anti-Spyware, which isn't an anti-virus but an anti-spyware program. avast should have detected AVG and may disable elements to try and avoid conflict.

What should you do, uninstall the second AV, AVG anti-virus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 02:54:17 AM »
The two avs with conflict with one another. Uninstall one of them.

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

Seems that is AVG antispyware and not the antivirus... Two programs with the same name give this confusion all the time...
The best things in life are free.

ErikW1248

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 06:54:39 AM »
Just repartition/reformat dude. If you do this you will be 100% sure that no viruses are in your system. For example, if the trojan installed a rootkit, avast will tell you that you are clean, when in fact you are not clean.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
Sorry for the nuclear option to be used for a limited war is an over kill scenario reinstalling windows and all its security patches is no light matter, not to mention you could well be very vulnerable to exploits whilst on-line getting these security updates. Then there are all your programs and the settings you have tweaked and made it work how you want it; email account set-up, etc. etc. not a matter to be taken lightly.

If you were to continually reformat and install windows because your AV doesn't detect anything you would have a lot of down-time. If you suspect a rootkit then you use rootkit tools, anti-rootkit, detection, removal & protection http://www.antirootkit.com/software/index.htm.

Before pressing the nuclear 'final' option you should try the tools which may do the job without the collateral damage.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »
wkenny,

You would seem to have the trial version of a-Squared with resident protection running, as well as AVG Anti-Spyware with resident protection running.

I suggest you uninstall a-Squared and download a-Squared Free, which doesn't have resident protection.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

AVG Anti-Spyware will revert to the free version with no resident protection after the 40 day trial. In the meantime you can disable the resident shield from the Status section of AVG Anti-Spyware.

(Of course if you decide to purchase either product, having an anti-Spyware program with resident protection running alongside your AV will be fine as long as your system does not take a performance hit- but as yours is an older OS, I'd suggest just keeping the free versions with on-demand scanning which won't take up system resources.)

If your system is still slow, you could try swapping ZA for Kerio (now Sunbelt) firewall.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/Requirements/

I agree with David that reinstalling the OS is unnecessary. However if you want to check for rootkits, BlackLight will run on Win2K:

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/blacklight_help.html#system_requirements
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog