Author Topic: Xdrive  (Read 7618 times)

rdmaloyjr

Xdrive
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
Xdrive Features

Back up your valuable files - your music, photos and more - automatically.
Conveniently access all your files from anywhere.
Easily share your files with friends and family.
Get 5GB for Free!

http://www.xdrive.com/partners/?p=aolgen&promo=766518&gcid=aisoftware1&hat=true

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Xdrive
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
I have just been talking about trusting on-line services with my data and I guess just don't trust others to look after and protect my data, especially as it is on-line and available for poking and prodding by cyber crooks.

There are a number of these on-line back-up services and I just don't trust any with my data.

I also notice a partners/?p=aolgen in the link is this an affiliate style service if someone signs up for the paid service, if so then this should be declared and may even be against the forum Policy ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
I have just been talking about trusting on-line services with my data and I guess just don't trust others to look after and protect my data, especially as it is on-line and available for poking and prodding by cyber crooks.

There are a number of these on-line back-up services and I just don't trust any with my data.

Ok David :) & What about mozy backup? ::) ( the one that Tech uses) :-X

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 04:53:59 PM »
Mozy never leave me on the side of the road...
I've used, recovered from one computer to another. It seems to work very good.

You can have it as ANOTHER backup option.

I also notice a partners/?p=aolgen in the link is this an affiliate style service if someone signs up for the paid service, if so then this should be declared and may even be against the forum Policy ?
I do not follow you...

What about mozy backup? ::)
A comparison between Mozy and some other services...
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »
Same, I don't trust any on-line back-up with my data, if that data is stored on a system that is accessible to the internet then it is at risk of cyber crime. What better target than on-line back-ups that could contain valuable information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
@ Tech
I'm not saying that they aren't good at what they do, just that I don't trust any system that has my data stored on-line accessible to possible cyber crime.

I do have another back-up options that are 'off-line,' Drive Image 7.

I believe affiliate links (and the partner/?p= appears to be such a link) that money can be earned from people signing up to any paid option should be declared as it is an interest. In the same way the previous forum policy forbade promotion of a program/product/service that your were the developer or interested party.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
I don't backup valuable/sensitive information on Mozy.
But if your email (mail box) traveled form Internet once, if your ISP keeps it on servers backup... why are you so affraid to keep it into another server? Other things, like configurations, non-private documents, etc.
Well, I'm just dropping my opinion anyway... not trying to convince you...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
When you have to selectively back-up because you are placing that data on-line to me negates its worth. I don't generally use my ISP's email servers but my own domain name email service, but the fact that since I already do that I should trust everything, sorry I'm just not that trusting.

With Drive Image I don't have to selectively leave out valuable/sensitive data, I just take an image of my partitions and save it to my 2nd HDD or to DVD.

Another thing I didn't mention is this kind of service even if you trusted it is not much use on dial-up with a max 33Kbps (about 10MB per hour) upload speed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
When you have to selectively back-up because you are placing that data on-line to me negates its worth.
No. I don't think so. Just more than one backup policy. Something has one backup type, one schedule, other things follow other rules. Just more than one policy.

With Drive Image I don't have to selectively leave out valuable/sensitive data, I just take an image of my partitions and save it to my 2nd HDD or to DVD.
But do you do it daily? Not? So, you could use more than one backup policy for very frequent changed items in your computer that could ask for daily (or even hourly) based backup.

Another thing I didn't mention is this kind of service even if you trusted it is not much use on dial-up with a max 33Kbps (about 10MB per hour) upload speed.
You can't use on-line backup with dial-up.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »
I do weekly drive images and daily data backups (volatile files, address book, favourites, accounts, downloads, etc. etc.), often more frequently, just click a desktop shortcut to launch a preconfigured batch file backup.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:45 AM »

I have an AIM account.  After logging out of my account I saw a link to Xdrive & was curious to see what it was.   I am not a partner of AOL or anything of AOL.  Mozy offers only 2gigs for free, if you want more you have to pay for it.  I thought maybe some fellow avast! forum members might interested in Xdrive as it offers 5gigs for free & like Mozy, if you want more you have to pay.

I have no interest in violating forum rules.  If I did it was unintentional.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Could be that it is AOHell that is the partner possibly trying to earn a little for providing the AIM account. Thanks for the update though, no slight intended, just checking. This link arrives at the same page without any reference links for AOL partner, http://www.xdrive.com/.

Posting the link as you did since any partnering isn't to do with you it wouldn't be against any forum policy. If I post any links like that I strip out the non-essential stuff.

por100pre1

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 03:00:41 PM »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 03:47:56 PM »
Ahh one more reason to stay away from it then ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »
Ahh one more reason to stay away from it then ;D ;D
Sure, that why I use Mozy 8)