Author Topic: Avast Home messed my computer(s) totally up!  (Read 7821 times)

southpark

Avast Home messed my computer(s) totally up!
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »
Hi!

Here's my problem: I tried Avast Home on my laptop running Win XP Pro. It worked OK, so I installed it onto 3 other computers I own.

But then I noticed that it messed A LOT of things up on all 4 computers:

- Windows Update doesn't work (it just shows blank page)
- System Restore doesn't work (sometimes a totally blanked-out System Restore window appears, but most of the time nothing appears)
- Webpages using Java don't work like they should (for example SMS messaging system I use for my job works only partially)

It seems that it affected MSIE7 the most, Firefox works a little bit better (but not OK), Opera works fine.

I tried to uninstall Avast but it just stays the same and (as you see) I cannot use System Restore. I haven't changed any Avast's settings - they are all default. I also tried to disable all modules but no improvement.

Here are specifications of computers: 2 with Win XP Pro, 1 with Win XP Home and 1 with Windows 2000 Server. They are all updated and nothing else has been installed in that time.

I also checked all four of them if they are infected but nothing came up (checked with Panda and Kaspersky online scan).

I really don't know what this could be and I really don't want to format everything...

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Avast Home messed my computer(s) totally up!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
When you try to uninstall, what is the error message?

What did you have for an av before and how was it ununstalled?

Welcome to the forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »
I also tried to disable all modules but no improvement.
So... seems that other application is involved also...
Which firewall do you use? Any proxy application? Other security programs?

Windows 2000 Server
avast Home/Pro version does not work on this operational system. See system requirements.

They are all updated and nothing else has been installed in that time.
What do you mean, installed by scratch and avast is the first application to be installed?
The best things in life are free.

southpark

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:55 PM »
I also tried to disable all modules but no improvement.
So... seems that other application is involved also...
Which firewall do you use? Any proxy application? Other security programs?

Windows 2000 Server
avast Home/Pro version does not work on this operational system. See system requirements.

They are all updated and nothing else has been installed in that time.
What do you mean, installed by scratch and avast is the first application to be installed?

I don't use any other security (or proxy) software (well, Spybot is installed but is not running), just Windows firewall is turned on.

I am running Avast on Windows 2000 just normally, it didn't say anywhere that it doesn't :D

It's not the first security application, I used Norton on my laptop (it came bundled but now 1 year license expired so I tried Avast), AVG Free on 2 other computers (Win XP Pro and Home) and nothing before Avast on Win 2000 - it was recently formatted.

There are no errors, Avast logs don't show any infection, intrusion etc. No errors, NOTHING. If that would happen on one computer i would understand, but on 4 different???

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »
For your system restore problem have a look here

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

and a link off of the above link page

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#BlankWindow

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »
I am running Avast on Windows 2000 just normally, it didn't say anywhere that it doesn't :D
The problem is the server version of Windows 2000...

It's not the first security application, I used Norton on my laptop (it came bundled but now 1 year license expired so I tried Avast), AVG Free on 2 other computers (Win XP Pro and Home) and nothing before Avast on Win 2000 - it was recently formatted.
Well... if a computer with NAV uninstalled worked, the AVG ones should do too. AVG is easier to get rid than NAV.
Did you uninstall AVG free before installing avast?
The best things in life are free.

southpark

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »
Yes, I uninstalled it first (I know it's not wise to use 2 programs @ the same time  :)

southpark

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »
oldman - you're a genius, it worked!

I have a strange idea that all that's got messed up is Java engine. I tried to reinstall it but no difference.

Edit: Actually everything is back to normal now that I used those commands, Windows update works, SMS Messaging too...

But still - there's no other suspect than Avast, nobody else had those problems?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:55:05 PM by southpark »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
Don't know about genius  :-[  , but I do know if you stumble around enough, you're bound to bump into something. I've seem the sys restore thing on computers with norton before.

Glad it worked. How are your computers now? Maybe try to do one at a time.

southpark

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
Too late, I already checked them all - and everything is OK now.

Are you guys sure Avast doesn't work on Windows 2000 Server? Because it works like a charm on it ;D

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »
Great!

Are you guys sure Avast doesn't work on Windows 2000 Server? Because it works like a charm on it ;D

As far as the documentation goes

http://avast.com/eng/avast_4_professional.html

scroll to the botom of the page, 95-vista, no server.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »

avast Home/Pro is a desktop solution and not a server solution, I'm surprised it installed properly (if it did), but it wouldn't provide any protection for any workstations/desktops on that server.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

southpark

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »
Interesting, it really works ok. How come it works on pro but it doesn't work on server?

Forejt

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
Can you post the screenshot of System properties Control panel and send setup.log to my email (you'll see it in my profile). Did you use license key or license file (license.dat)?

marcelle19

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »
I'm having problems connecting to the web and getting email with Thunderbird since I installed the lastest update (4.7.986).  If I turn off the providers, everything works fine.

I might go and try out the suggestions in here, but it is kind of weird, because I have never really had a problem with avast home versions before.

If worst comes to worst, I can always uninstall, but I do like a lot of the features of avast ( mainly, the providers :o ), so I'll try out the things in this thread (I have Win2000Pro), and see if they work for me.