Author Topic: After installing Avast can't browse the internet!  (Read 4714 times)

Nagual

After installing Avast can't browse the internet!
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:38 AM »
I have installed Avast home edition on my pc where it was already installed Zone Alarm 7.0.337 free version.

Even if ZA is free version I have been presented with the ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO; (maybe because I have upgraded from the previously installed free version 6.xx of ZA... I don't know)
Anyway I answered NO.

After necessary reboot from installation first thing I noted was that I could not surf the internet...

Checked options in Avast, options in ZA, options in the network connections but everything seemed normal.

My pc is connected with a wireless adapter and I get an excellent signal (54 mbps)

I receive correct IP from the router ( 192.168.1.2 ) but no way I can get to the Internet...

From that moment every time I restart the pc I need to repair the network connection.

Thinking that Avast was the culprit, I tried the following scenarios:

Avast uninstalled and ZA installed = No good (need network connection repair after computer startup)

Avast installed and ZA uninstalled = No good (need network connection repair after computer startup)

Avast uninstalled and ZA unistalled = No Good (need network connection repair after computer startup)

I believed the problem was related to the winsock files and so I downloaded and run Winsockxpfix but again no good !

I don't know if there are other files that could have been corrupted by the installation of Avast.

Right now I am keeping this scenario:
Avast installed and ZA installed = No good (need network connection repair after computer startup)

I have to mention that once the connection is repaired everything works like a clock...

Please Help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: After installing Avast can't browse the internet!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:29:32 AM »
Since 4.7.892 version of September 25, 2006, avast gets improved detection of ZoneAlarm Pro (to prevent unnecessary WebShield incompatibility warnings). So, if you're using ZA free, you shouldn't see the avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue while installing/updating avast.

Maybe uninstalling ZA, installing avast and after that installing ZA.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:42:19 AM »
No is the correct answer to the compatibility question. As Tech mentions from a version of avast you shouldn't get asked this question 'if this is a first installation of ZA with avast.' If however you have previously been asked this question, you will continue to get this question, but it shouldn't be an issue when you answer NO.

ZA should have asked you permission after the avast program update and after you rebooted. If it didn't it hasn't recognised the changes in the web shield (and also Internet Mail) provider.

The usual culprit for not being able to connect is firewall blocking.
ZA on occasion has been known to suffer amnesia when it comes to program control, just enter the program control and delete the entry for the avast processes. Now connect to the internet, you should be asked permission for the ashWebSv.exe Web Shield. Now try to check for your email, you should be asked permission for the ashMaiSv.exe Internet Mail. Now do a manual update and you should be asked permission for the avast.setup avast update process.

avast shouldn't touch your network connections or associated files, so I'm at a loss as to why this might be happening.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nagual

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:56:39 AM »
I have uninstalled and re-installed the software that takes control of the netgear wireless adapter.

Now everything works perfectly !

My mistake !

Avast is a good guy !

;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security