Author Topic: a-squared lack of support  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
a-squared lack of support
« on: May 01, 2007, 07:52:54 PM »
If any of you need official support from a-squared... well... you'll need to wait.
I can't believe such a slow follow up  :'(

When we're talking about a security program, a false positive that messes your computer completely - YLAP needed to use his Registry Backup, I need to use a full partition backup - and when the Quarantine does not work (does not restore and does not encrypt), well, this program is coming into my foolish list... it's a pity. It was a good one (I thought).

http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=10874&#10874
http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=10875&#10875
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

Re: a-squared lack of support
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
reason why i don't use it tech you remembering the problem i had with a-squared free and the false positive headache it gave me :P
its on my official don't ever use list 8)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27877.0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:59:24 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »
Hello Tech and drhayden1,

Well it should not be so much of a problem, when you have other programs to check the eventual false alarms. A-squared is set wiyh me to only alert, and never to be out of the sandbox. I know Spybot S&D to have its FP's in the past as well. Only software that does not do a thing lacks FP's, just like people that sit idle, they never do anything in error as well. So I have XCleanMicro, SpyAudit, and Evido Micro as back ups. If more scanners alert, well I start to investigate, and when it seems I can make a considered decision I will do so. Handling your System should read: "Do not harm!, do not cut in a healthy body!". With scanners more or less the same.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »
Again, it's not a false postive incident only, but rather other serious ones:

1. The quarantine does not restore the registry keys deleted by the program (all of them).
2. The quarantine does not work even on the Administrator account or in Safe Mode.
3. The quarantine does not encrypt (well) all its contents.
4. The lack of support.
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:27:28 AM »
Yes, after that incident I said I'll never use a-squared, because they say something like: "Oh, it's your own problem. Our program quarantine does not works with registry, so be happy it detects something" Yes it detects half of my registry as threat as kindly removes it. Just restart PC and surprise, your Windows is dead. Oppps...  ;D

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
I never thought i would say this but AVG is the best !!!
That is AVG Antispyware ...  ;D  ;D  ;D

I used to have a-squared installed about a year ago and was getting so many FP's that i uninstalled it and never looked back. I only used it as a backup scanner but luckily i found Ewido Micro back then which was exactly what i needed.