Author Topic: AVAST! v.4.7 Home slows down computer  (Read 3938 times)

utah2004

AVAST! v.4.7 Home slows down computer
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
Hello,

A friend installed this software, then found that other programs seemed to be running more slowly.  If she right-clicks on the "a" icon on the Taskbar, then "stops on-access protection" will this stop Avast from running thus giving more CPU cycles to other programs?  Or will some part of Avast still be running?  If still running, is there a way to stop it entirely?  Of course I would only recommend she do this while not connected to Internet.

Thanks for any help.

Clark

RomanAllOver

Re: AVAST! v.4.7 Home slows down computer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »
Hello Clark

Yes "stops on-access protection" stops Avast.
But only do this when you are not on the net and only execute games or files that you know are safe.
Always check files that you have downloaded with avast before execution.
To reactivate click on "start on-access protection" this will appear in the same spot that "stops on-access protection" was.

Also which FireWall are you using because I found that Zone alarm can also slow some programs.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:53:34 PM by RomanAllOver »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
We need more information on your friends system because avast is relatively light on system resources when compared to other AVs.

What is the CPU, RAM, OS of his system ?
What other security based software does he have that might have an effect, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Have (or did) he another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is the sensitivity of Standard Shield, Normal is the default and usually provides a good balance between performance and protection ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »
But only do this when you are not on the net.
I won't suggest this... you're connected, download an infected file, go off-line, then execute and run the virus...

To run avast faster but secure, set the Standard Shield to Normal level (instead of High) or disable/close other programs, not the antivirus. If you go off-line, you can shutdown the firewall safely.
The best things in life are free.

utah2004

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
Thanks Roman ..., David and Tech for your suggestions.

Clark