Author Topic: VBS: Loveletter virus  (Read 6074 times)

Pocket

VBS: Loveletter virus
« on: February 21, 2004, 08:46:17 AM »
 ???  Hi, can somebody tell me what I should do with this virus? It's contained inside Avast's chest at the moment along with these 3 other files: kernel32.dll, winsock.dll and wsock32.dll, which having been scanned have showed no virus. I've even d/l the fix tool off Symantec's web site and scanned my system which appears to be bug free. So, what am I supposed to do with these files - delete them or forever let them reside inside this chest?  :D

Pavel Baudis

Re:VBS: Loveletter virus
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 08:55:45 AM »
These three files (dlls) are not infected - they are backup copies of the system files which are changed by viruses frequently. You might notice that they are not in the category "infected files" but "system files".

Pavel

Pocket

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 09:11:53 AM »
Nebbermind  ;D  I figured things out. Thanks for the reply.

randahl

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »
 ???

Sorry for asking but I have the same files in my chest, the only issue is these buggers are huge!  :-\

Copied directly from file > properties for each item:

kernal32.dll = Size of file 930304
winsock.dll = Size of file 2864
wsock.dll = Size of file 21504

Can anyone explain as to why these are so big?

Can I delete them if they are backups? When I look at the current files in each of the original locations the file size is absolutely minumal in comparison?

I also have another file:

command.com = Size of file 93040

sitting in there as well. Is this another copy?

???

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! :D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 07:57:34 AM »
If there is no size unit like MB or KB than these are Bytes.

command.com = Size of file 93040

This is roughly around 90 KB in size ;)

Btw do you still have VBS:Loveletter ? I would like to have it hehe,its somehow a legendary insect :) Pack it with ZIP and lock it with password: virus
than send it to my mail. Thx
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »
Btw do you still have VBS:Loveletter ? I would like to have it hehe,its somehow a legendary insect :) Pack it with ZIP and lock it with password: virus than send it to my mail. Thx

Please do not ask for sending viruses between users on this forum. This is definitely no Virus Exchange board. The only exception is when we ask people just to send viruses/suspected files/false alarms to virus@avast.com for inspection and help.

Thank you for understanding...
Pavel

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »
I understand,and all viruses are going only to me and nowhere else. I'm building an archive/collection for myself (no nasty thoughts hehe). Some collect stamps,others collect badges,i'm colecting viruses and worms. Strange,but very interesting hobby ;)
Here's my current collection:

PS: Any ideas on where can i find Brain virus (the grandfather of all viruses?) ;) Ok i'll stop if its against the board rules :-[
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog