Author Topic: What is the probability of a virus infection?  (Read 4727 times)

TheBorkenOne

What is the probability of a virus infection?
« on: May 27, 2007, 04:38:21 PM »
Due to the nature of my work, anyone that introduces a virus into the local network will get it big time. I am kinda nervous and need a bit of assurance.

I have designed a simple web page for my office, consisting only of .jpg and .html files(codings consist of HTML and CSS only), some of which I have sourced for online. The thumbdrive I will be plugging into the office's PC is clean and will contain only files for my website. Before hand I will do a full virus scan and be scouring the thumbdrive itself for any hidden files and will delete them away.

To my knowledge, there are no such things as .jpg or .html files creating a computer virus like effect, is this correct?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is the probability of a virus infection?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
There are .jpg viruses, or rather jpeg exploits as far as html pages go the page itself could be benign, but the likes of javascript or iFrame tags could execute code.

If however, you are the one crafting the page (checking/scanning downloaded content) then you should be fine, but before plugging in the USB drive into an office system you should scan it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
To my knowledge, there are no such things as .jpg or .html files creating a computer virus like effect, is this correct?
Are you asking if a .jpg and .html file could give you a virus alert?
The better will be checking the files (the full webpage) against avast! WebShield installed in your computer and Dr. Web (http://online.drweb.com/?url=1).
The best things in life are free.

TheBorkenOne

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
Are you asking if a .jpg and .html file could give you a virus alert?
The better will be checking the files (the full webpage) against avast! WebShield installed in your computer and Dr. Web (http://online.drweb.com/?url=1).

Yup, thanks for bringing it to mind. I would actually like to know that too other than whether any known html and jpg exploits are harmful. Thanks David for clearing my doubts on the latter.

Now the most important question is what's the possibility of a virus alert triggering off. It is of utmost importance that it does not happen at all, in the event that I will not have avast! WebShield to fall back on. I do not have administrator rights to install programs on to the office PC and I am not not sure if the person in charge will be around next week.

All that I have in the office is an independent PC that is not connected to the office network, which is equipped with Norton Anti Virus. I don't trust that one very much though... 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
I do not have administrator rights to install programs on to the office PC
I think WebShield exceptions will work. Unless the administrator has protected the settings with a password.

All that I have in the office is an independent PC that is not connected to the office network, which is equipped with Norton Anti Virus. I don't trust that one very much though... 
Don't use two antivirus at the same time in the same computer...
Norton? Argg...
The best things in life are free.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:20:07 AM »
Doesn't the probablility depend highly on the other security software on a computer system, other than your antivirus? Actually, my mistake, it depends more on what the computer user does, clicking on random ads and pop-ups aren't good for the computer ...