Author Topic: Changing Date on emails  (Read 7689 times)

Barr_y

Changing Date on emails
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:45 AM »
The Date on the bottom of my friends emails in Avast show as 05/30/07 instead of the English version 30/05/07 can this be changed to stop his confusion please.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Changing Date on emails
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »
Are you speaking of messages sent through the avast personal message system (between avast users) or of a regular email service?

If you are referring to avast personal messages (between avast users) then the date format appears to be dd mmm yyyy and should be pretty clear.

If you are referring to regular email service then avast does nothing to change email messages other than to insert the X-Antivirus headers and "clean" messages if directed.  In those cases avast follows the date format rules of the user's system.  So sent messages will have avast additions following the rules of the sender's system and received messages will have avast additions following the rules of the receiver's system.

Apart from that the date and time formats in an email will be those created by the sender's email client and will, in most cases, follow the date and time rules of that system.

If you are receiving the messages on the Web (as for Yahoo or Hotmail) then avast is not involved at all.

Can you give us an example of your concern?

Barr_y

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Hi Alan thank you for reply. I am talking about the message Avast puts at the bottom of received and sent emails. My friend is 85 and gets confused by the date he receives emails from the format printed at the bottom of the emails by Avast. I think it is a Windows problem but can't remember how he can change it. I know I selected English when I put XP on my computer but am not sure if it can be altered now. I do have a photo but can't see how to upload it here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
I think it is a Windows problem but can't remember how he can change it.
No, it's an avast configuration.
Change the format of that notes into Internet Mail provider or Outlook plugin.
Click 'Format of the notes'.
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
Hi Tech I have looked at my version but I can't see where changing the format of the date is. You can see my one the date is set English way But his is set USA date way.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
Tech you can't change the date format by changing the format of the note, as Alan said this is taken from the system date format.
Tested on: %TIMEDATE%
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
Tech you can't change the date format by changing the format of the note
Yeah :'(
Hope Igor could take a look on this thread and help us.
I can't find any avast4.ini file setting to do that either...
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
OK I can see that now. But are you able to change the USA format to English format on the computer apart from when you are installing an OS. It wouldn't be worth it to format again just because of a date difference. Haven't Windows anywhere to change the format at all?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
They, avast, could only say where it, the %TIMEDATE% variable is obtained from and the user/Barr_y would have to change that to the UK date format.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
I just did a help and support search for time date format and it brought up a number of options, this was one of them "Change number, currency, time, and date settings"

Barr_y

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »
Hi David Thank you very much. I had also googled but must have put wrong information in. I Knew I had seen it before on my computer but couldn't remember. I tried the Date and time settings but that wasn't right. I will now be able to give him the instructions. Thank you very much once again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Your welcome, I didn't use google for that but the Windows Help and Support from the Start button.

Lets us know if that was the problem.

Barr_y

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »
I just got him to alter his settings via MSN Messenger and he sent this email and as you can see it didn't put it right.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »
I'm afraid the issue is a bit more complicated.

First, and most important thing: the notes are added, and also generated, by avast! Mail Scanner Service. This service runs under LocalSystem account. Now, if you go into Control Panel / Regional and Language Options and configure the date format there - it will affect the programs running under your user account, but not this service (a bit more technically, I can say that the date format is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key; but LocalSystem account sees a different "current user" key than the ordinary user).

So, to configure this date format, you'd have to modify the value sShortDate in the following key:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International
(You probably want to put the value d.M.yyyy there - or you can copy it from your account settings, i.e. from the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International).

Second, after you make the change, it's necessary to restart the computer (or at least avast! services).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
Thanks Igor, could I take you off topic and ask you to take a look at this one, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28603.0, a Mac notebook with Dual boot, OSX and XP, services not loading on XP start-up, thanks.