Author Topic: How to scan only specific file extensions with Avast Free  (Read 1710 times)

Offline jmaster85

How to scan only specific file extensions with Avast Free
« on: June 29, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »
In older Avast Free versions, the user could select specific file extensions to be included (or excluded) from the scan.

I can't see this option on the latest Avast version.

In my case, I would like to force the real-time Avast protection to scan *.lsp files (autocad lisp) so that it can detect the classic ALS:Bursted-E virus.
Or at least, I'd like to create a custom scheduled scan, which only scans *.lsp files so that it's quicker than a full scan on all file types.

I have several PCs with AutoCAD installed, and even if Avast can detect that lisp virus with a manual scan, I keep finding infected files on those systems.

Any suggestion?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 01:02:21 AM by jmaster85 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to scan only specific file extensions with Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:00:12 AM »
It is still there, for exclusions. c:\folder-name\*.lsp
However I don't believe this is there only to scan a file type, I certainly haven't noticed that in many years.

If in the default list of excluded files doesn't include .lsp then they should be scanned.

An on-demand scan is like shutting the door after the horse has bolted as surely it would have been scanned by the on-access file scanners ?
If you have a default downloads folder or a known folder that these are arriving at you could create a custom scan that folder.

If you are finding files that are infected submit it to avast for analysis (as a false negative) as surely these are coming from outside and not generated in your system ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jmaster85

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 08:00:48 PM »
It is still there, for exclusions. c:\folder-name\*.lsp
However I don't believe this is there only to scan a file type, I certainly haven't noticed that in many years.

I'm not asking for exclusion. I want to scan specific file extension, and the function was there on old versions of Avast Free.

If in the default list of excluded files doesn't include .lsp then they should be scanned.

An on-demand scan is like shutting the door after the horse has bolted as surely it would have been scanned by the on-access file scanners ?
If you have a default downloads folder or a known folder that these are arriving at you could create a custom scan that folder.

I'd like to force the scan of specific extensions on the real-time scan. There is no single directory. PC is working on multiple directories and it seems to ignore those files when they're created.

If you are finding files that are infected submit it to avast for analysis (as a false negative) as surely these are coming from outside and not generated in your system ?

It's not a false negative, it's a well known virus. I don't need to send them, I need Avast to catch and delete them on real-time !!!!!

Please, re-read my post!

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:22 PM »
As I said there are exceptions but not a 'scan only X file types (inclusions).

Quote from: DavidR

For example, those files for which there are exceptions aren't scanned, the remainder should be scanned. 

If you saying they aren't scanned.
How do you know they aren't scanned, created, modified or run/executed files should be scanned by the File System Shield.

Have you made any changes to the default settings for the File System Shield ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sava22

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:39:38 PM »
Maybe this?
Open Avast > 'Menu' (top right) > 'Settings' > 'Protection' (left) > 'Core Shields' > ('File Shield' tab) In the 'Choose file types to scan' select 'All files'.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 11:53:47 PM »
Maybe this?
Open Avast > 'Menu' (top right) > 'Settings' > 'Protection' (left) > 'Core Shields' > ('File Shield' tab) In the 'Choose file types to scan' select 'All files'.

The problem being, this would increase the overhead CPU and RAM when scanning everything regardless of risk

Offline jmaster85

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:28:10 PM »

Here it is.
v7: https://imgur.com/a/zE5kz3K
v11: https://imgur.com/a/sRPCYX5
v17: https://imgur.com/a/HrDD2No
v18: https://imgur.com/a/GnTHJLY

It has been removed from v20:
https://imgur.com/a/q6OrNrI

How could you not notice?  ;D

source: https://www.filepuma.com/download/avast_free_antivirus-2/versions/2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:11:53 PM by jmaster85 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 11:00:18 PM »
<snip>
It has been removed from v20:
https://imgur.com/a/q6OrNrI

How could you not notice?  ;D
<snip>

Possibly because I never considered a need for this function in my usage of my systems, so I didn't notice or miss it.  My forays into the UI are normally limited to responding to a question in the forums.