Author Topic: Proper update setting with DSL and router?  (Read 7028 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Proper update setting with DSL and router?
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:44:06 PM »
I've been on dialup since Noah was a pup, and have my avast update connection set to dialup-only accordingly.

Any millenium now, I intend to upgrade to DSL with a router.  I intend shutting that down and in effect disconnecting, when I'm not active online.

What's the proper update setting for that situation?  I won't be always connected, but neither will I be on dialup.

Actually I think I've already worked out the answer myself, but confirmation from someone who's "been there" would be nice.  If always-connected checks for accessibility of the servers by pinging, that's probably the way to go, right?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Proper update setting with DSL and router?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »
I intend shutting that down and in effect disconnecting, when I'm not active online.
What's the proper update setting for that situation?  I won't be always connected, but neither will I be on dialup.
Use the dial-up behavior is my suggestion. It's just a setting to inform avast how to ping the servers for an update.
Remember Mike that you can configure how many seconds, after being connected, you want avast to update. Just check avast4.ini file thread.

If always-connected checks for accessibility of the servers by pinging, that's probably the way to go, right?
Yes, the dial up option checks for a connection before pinging the server... 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:50:10 PM »
Thanks, Tech, but I think we got our communications confused a little.

Unless there's been a change in one of the more recent version-upgrades, it was my understanding that Always-connected pings to check, while Dialup-only simply checks the modem status.

And I would assume that my modem would be always on and functional (while the computer is, that is), even if the router's off and won't let it communicate, so a modem status-check wouldn't help.  On the other hand, using the Always-connected setting would yield unresponsive ping attempts, which is (I think) what I'd want, to let the updater know it couldn't connect at that time.
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:25:58 AM »
Thanks, Tech, but I think we got our communications confused a little.
We're talking the same...

Unless there's been a change in one of the more recent version-upgrades, it was my understanding that Always-connected pings to check, while Dialup-only simply checks the modem status.
You're right.

And I would assume that my modem would be always on and functional (while the computer is, that is), even if the router's off and won't let it communicate, so a modem status-check wouldn't help.  On the other hand, using the Always-connected setting would yield unresponsive ping attempts, which is (I think) what I'd want, to let the updater know it couldn't connect at that time.
You're answering yourself, use dial-up option.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:58:03 AM »
I find myself completely amazed by Tech's recommendation ... since I cannot understand the logic of it.

However, always willing,  I am now running my system with Tech's recommendation. 

I have a cable modem and router (no different from DSL modem and router).  At startup avast has completely failed to perform any check for updates (that is standard for startup in an always connected system) and we will see how it goes.     

I will report back.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »
I find myself completely amazed by Tech's recommendation ... since I cannot understand the logic of it.
Setting as using a dial-up, avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band as it's a local check.

If you're using a permanent connection, avast pings the server after the time specified in avast4.ini file and then each 40 seconds looking for an update at the server. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.

I have a cable modem and router (no different from DSL modem and router).  At startup avast has completely failed to perform any check for updates (that is standard for startup in an always connected system) and we will see how it goes.
I suggest you use the permanent connected option and not the dial-up one.
Mike wants to disconnect his computer, and you don't (as far I know).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »
I suggest you use the permanent connected option and not the dial-up one.
Mike wants to disconnect his computer, and you don't (as far I know).

I believe that is why Alan is doing it to test the theory that with (broadband/cable) an always connected Internet if it is set to dial-up then auto updates won't happen (period, not just that when MikeBCda goes off-line) as there is no modem present.

Effectively turning it to Manual Update as there would never be a modem response.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:47 PM »
I believe that is why Alan is doing it to test the theory that with (broadband/cable) an always connected Internet if it is set to dial-up then auto updates won't happen
I never thought this way... it's a good test. It can confirm my theory or I can change my mind and posts 8)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
I have broadband dsl connection I dont use neither option. I have both options unchecked(dial-up option and permanent connection option) and work fine
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
That is I assume because it will check both conditions and if one is true (it finds one or other connection) it will be able to do the auto update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »
That is I assume because it will check both conditions and if one is true (it finds one or other connection) it will be able to do the auto update.
Maybe this is the solution... and not checking the dial-up option as I've posted before...
Can we have an official confirmation from Alwil team?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:11:08 PM »
That unfortunately I don't think that will achieve what MikeBCda is hoping to do, as that would continue to attempt pinging to check the connection status.

My guess MikeBCda has alternative reasons for shutting down his DSL router, he wants to stop anything connecting to the internet or having inbound access and at the same time stop avast checking for updates whilst he is off-line.

In the past Mike has posted about getting the Red Update failure notice and I also guess he is thinking if avast checks for updates but his system is off-line it will fail and display the Red Update error box.

Just my guess as to why he wants to do this ?
Quote from: MikeBCda
Any millenium now, I intend to upgrade to DSL with a router.  I intend shutting that down and in effect disconnecting, when I'm not active online.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »
As David thought:

If a system is running with a permanent broadband connection then:

With the "Dial-up" modem option checked and
With the "Always connected" option unchecked

avast will never check for automatic updates.

When I then unchecked the "Dial-up modem" option (and left both options unchecked as calcu007 does) then within one minute avast performed a check for automatic updates and installed the latest VPS update. 

So it seemed that this setup (as calcu007 has) would be good for MikeBCda.  Like David I thought that this might provoke the "red flag" popup. 

I cannot turn off my modem since it also carries my phone service and I am awaiting calls.  However I just disconnected this system from the router and restarted it. 

With both options unchecked and my system disconnected I did not get a "red flag" at startup. 

Later edit:

With just the "Always connected" option checked and my system disconnected from the router I did get a "red flag" popup as system startup. 

So unless anyone wants to do so more testing I would advise MikeBCda to go with the same settings a calcu007 and leave both boxes unchecked when his broadband millennium arrives.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 12:13:36 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »
If a system is running with a permanent broadband connection then:
With the "Dial-up" modem option checked and
With the "Always connected" option unchecked
avast will never check for automatic updates.
Thanks, always learning.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »
Thanks, always learning.
Me too.  I never played with it, but I always assumed that one box or the other had to be ticked, and "neither" (that is, neither box) wasn't an option.