Author Topic: help me please  (Read 16609 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: help me please
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »
I'm one that doesn't like these restore partitions because they effectively set your system back to as it was when you bought it.

If that was some time ago then you could have a lot of windows updates to do not to mention if it came pre-installed with trial software that you had got rid of you would have to do all that again.

Drive Imaging software (as essexboy mentions) is a real life saver, I do a weekly full image of my primary drive partitions and save them on my secondary hard drive, you can also save to an external drive or burn to DVD, etc. I have had to use my backup in anger a number of times and restoring my complete disk image took under 15 minutes, it had been well worth the money. I'm using the last version of Drive Image version 7.1 before Symantec bought out PowerQuest, the makers of Drive Image and another of my favourite programs Partition Magic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 12:59:27 AM »
Searching those 2 file names, however, implies there was more going on than just pre-installed junk programs.

Avast just recognizes it as drive D ands scans it with no problems.
If this is the case, I'd rather get clean the drive D: either, as it seems just to 'restore' a partition back to the original place.

The other alternative is to make a drive image of your system using something like Acronis and then you would not need the restore partition
One of the very few programs I've bought. In my opinion, the most reliable and better than  Norton Ghost (for instance).
The best things in life are free.

ryan445

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »
I use that restore thing alot, because I like to have everything perfect. Plus I mess around with my OS alot and constantly screw it up lol. Themes, programs, ususally themes(vista transformation pack anyone?) make a very sad/angry face. i am just wondering can I just delete these malwares? I dont have the 50 for acronis.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 03:03:11 AM »
I am just wondering can I just delete these malwares?
Can you post the filenames and paths where the viruses were found?

I dont have the 50 for acronis.
There are freeware options for backup. Just Googling you'll find...
The best things in life are free.

ryan445

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 03:54:18 AM »
A0003359.exe C:\\System Volume Information\_restore[bunch of numbers]
A0013978.exe D:\\System Volume Information\_restore[bunch of numbers]
A0013979.exe D:\\System Volume Information\_restore[more numbers]
CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe D:\\I386\Apps\APP17392\src
HPPavillion_Spring06.exe D:\\I386\Apps\APP17392\src

All Infected with Win32:Adware-gen. [Adw]

mauserme

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:42 AM »
Run a complete scan with the free version of Ad Aware just to make sure you're clean

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/tech/?2466

and post the results.   Make sure to use version 1.06 which is toward the bottom of the list.  The newer versions have been causing some problems.  Also, quarantine wenever possible rather than deleting files.

Once we're sure you are clean we can create fresh restore points and delete the old, infected points.

Other than these 3 detections do you have any symptoms of adware (popups, etc)?

Have you made a disk backup of the recovery partition?  You should do this whether or not you decide to keep the partition.

ryan445

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 04:47:19 AM »
Nah my system runs good and well. And I dont have any method of backing up anything.....

mauserme

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 04:57:17 AM »
Do the Ad Aware scan anyway.  When we delete the old restore points and create new you will have only one restore point for each drive.  I wouldn't want this to be an infected point too.

And I dont have any method of backing up anything.....

HP provides a utility to make a single copy of the recovery partition.  Its already on your computer (well, it should be there).  I'm on an Acer right now but I'll go locate it on an HP and post the method.

ryan445

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 05:06:14 AM »
K adaware says Im clean. I just used 2007 because it doesnt give me problems. Anyway there is a program for making cd backups, but it takes like 29 cd's or something

mauserme

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 05:20:26 AM »
You will need to do the second part (removing old restore points) for both partitions:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialog box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select the drive (C: or D:)
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialog box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

If you have a DVD burner a copy of the recovery partition usually only takes 6 or 7 disks.  Its up to you, but if you make them and put them in a safe place you can restore to an "as shipped" condition from an uninfectable source any time you want.

ryan445

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 05:29:03 AM »
can I delete the viruses? I dont want to back up an infected partition. And it takes 2 dvds, but 17 freakin cd's and that's all I have! dang guess im goin to wallmart
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:32:52 AM by ryan445 »

mauserme

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 05:40:35 AM »
If you click Start>All Programs>PC Help and Tools>HP Application Recovery>Application Installation>Next, what programs are listed?

ryan445

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 05:50:43 AM »
Compaq Application Recovery, Recovery Cd-DVD recovery, recovery tools cd, system recovery, application recovery, pc doctor and some informational tools

mauserme

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 05:55:13 AM »
Click on Compaq Application Recovery (sorry, I said HP before), then fill the Application Installation radio button and click Next.

Does a window open with a list of programs?  What programs are listed?

ryan445

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »