Author Topic: Avast stops Internet service  (Read 7775 times)

TOBYTOO

Avast stops Internet service
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:18:55 PM »
Problem with Internet access after downloading Avast. Win Xp s/p2, Using Firefox, PC Firewall.
After successful start of Avast. i.e., all Avast icons, and mainpage is available.

1) When Avast tries to access to obtain updates, message comes up: "Cannot find server".
         another time, "INformation about current update, Error" Cannot connect to download 2G.avast.com
                                                                                                67.15.2008.7:80
      I tried to access other Web sites,my e-mail, etc. and the server was blocked for everything.

2) I turned off Avast. Stopped "On-Access Protection" and was then able to access the internet for my usual tasks. .

3) While I post this, with Avast turned off, Avast is still trying to access the internet for updates.

4) thinking that it might be with Mozilla Firefox, I downloaded Firefox again, no help on that either.

5) I have another computer and I installed Avast on it last week without any problems.

6) Another Error message just came up :
    Avast Virus Setup
    Cannot connect to download 106.Avast.com
    --read FAQ section on Avast web site
    --http proxy settings are incorrect.

Could Firefox be the problem.???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast stops Internet service
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
Can you check into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

--http proxy settings are incorrect.
Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
     You can run proxycfg -d in a DOS window to make your computer connect direct, without proxy. You can run proxycfg -h for help.
The best things in life are free.

TOBYTOO

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:37:54 AM »
All listed Avast Program files are not blocked with the PC Firewall.  In fact, I have turned it off and it didn't make a difference. Still Avast could not access the Internet for Avast Updates.
I also tried Avast with various protection disabled. one at a time, no help.

*Browser is "not" set to work offline.
*Switching from "Auto-detect" to "no proxy" did not help.
*Update(basic)>Details>Proxy is running in Mode Normal

I have never experienced this problem with any other A/V software. I took Norton off after using it for a year, then tried a month of Nod32, took it off and downloaded Avast. and then the problem started. Only Avast has a problem working with my Mozilla Firefox settings.

I am stumped. not a computer geek, don't know what to do from here. Thinking about trying some other security software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:48:30 AM »
I have never experienced this problem with any other A/V software. I took Norton off after using it for a year, then tried a month of Nod32
Sorry to say but most of the time a bad uninstallation (not complete) could due to avast troubles.

Only Avast has a problem working with my Mozilla Firefox settings.
If you just disable WebShield, could you connect?
Which are your Mozilla Firefox proxy settings?

TOBYTOO

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
*Firefox is set to use "Direct connection to the Internet", no proxy.
*As I said earlier, I have tried disabling Web Shield, and any/all other Avast options, one at a time and only a complete stop of "On-Access" Protection will allow me to get on the Internet.
*Avast has never been able to download any of the updates. Each time it tries there is an error even with the On-Access stopped..
I have disabled the firewall and that didn't seem to help.
*I will recheck the previous uninstall of a/v software, but with Norton I used the factory uninstall so that should be ok, and with Nod32 I used Add/Remove software.
*It seems that Avast is running ok as I can start it and observe the Scanner running and popping up at the bottom right of my screen as it goes through its checks. but what i get seems to a repeated scan of Firefox sessionstore.js, -1.js, and js.
I see other posts on the forum with a similar problem, seems to be a compatibility issue with Firefox.

Still stumped, what to do???  Toby

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
*I will recheck the previous uninstall of a/v software, but with Norton I used the factory uninstall so that should be ok, and with Nod32 I used Add/Remove software.
I don't think so. Norton is really difficult to get rid. Nod32 also has a standalone uninstall/cleaner if I'm not wrong.

1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info or here.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:
1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.

I see other posts on the forum with a similar problem, seems to be a compatibility issue with Firefox.
I really don't think so. Tested Firefox in a lot of computers using avast... this trouble is not there. The other thread about Firefox sessions is, as far I could follow, a Firefox problem while crashing/closing and it's not related to avast at all.

FCN_Muc

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:14:48 AM »
I have exactly the same problem with just little differences: Never used Norton on this PC before, I used CA, made a clean un-install!
With all providers working, Avast 4.7 prof is able to update, also I can use my Torrent-program uTorrent, but I can't use any browser, not IE7, not the newest Firefox, not Opera, not Netscape and not the beta of Apples Safari! I have to switch off the complete protection (I already tried to switch off (not to pause) one provider after the other... couldn't access any web page. Switching off the complete protection browsing is no more a problem, then I can access all pages! But using Avast without real time protection? Or using Avast but no web browsing?
There is no other AV-soft! I don't have windows defender! I deactivated Windows own firewall!
I read several dozens threads but I didn't any useful tip!

Avast works like a "firewall" blocking all browsers (I know: Avast isn't a firewall)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:49:17 AM »
couldn't access any web page. Switching off the complete protection browsing is no more a problem, then I can access all pages! But using Avast without real time protection? Or using Avast but no web browsing?
Avast works like a "firewall" blocking all browsers (I know: Avast isn't a firewall)
- Do you use a proxy?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- Any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
Try terminating the Web Shield provider, does it resolve the problem ?

Pausing the web shield (which I assume was the one you paused ?) won't work you need to terminate it as the traffic still goes through the web shield proxy, it just isn't scanned. So you shouldn't need to switch of ALL protection.

What OS are you using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lynettema

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 05:28:12 AM »
I have the exact same problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled avast 3 times and each time it blocks access to the internet. It seems to be able to pick up the update, but I can't connect to get a registration number and when I try to load a browser, (firefox) it will not connect. I tried IE and it wouldn't connect either. :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 03:09:39 PM »
Did you try terminating the web shield as suggested in the previous post ?

Same problem, same questions as previously asked ?
Without information we are just guessing and may offer a suggestion you have already tried.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lynettema

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
Thanks for the response, I haven't tried disabling the webshield, I'll try to download the program again, disable the webshield and see what happens. Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 04:30:44 PM »
If disabling the web shield works that would tend to point to a firewall blocking ashWebSv.exe, which is why we ask about what firewall you are using.

lynettema

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:12:27 PM »
I currently do not have a firewall installed, I tried making the adjustments you suggested and changed the settings in IE. Still no luck. I downloaded the avast program and installed it, then I tried to open firefox and it wouldn't connect. Thanks for your assistance but I'm afraid I'll have to give up. I really liked using avast on my other computer, but I wonder if it is a vista problem as that's the os on this new computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest as I don't have Vista installed.