Author Topic: Is avast.setup safe? And strange pop up things...  (Read 17922 times)

kenzai82

Is avast.setup safe? And strange pop up things...
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
I have a pop-up from my firewall and it indicate this file avast.setup inside the alwil software folder is trying to access the internet (the ashwebsv.exe is allowed, but this file name "avast.setup" seem a bit weird..

Is it safe?

And also just now my windows pop up a window without any title and it states " Checking for new software " with a blue progress bar out of no-where and suddenly it vanish, then I quickly check my task manager and saw this program "wmiprvse.exe" is loaded and then it dissappear..

Something strange happen.. All this happen after I uninstall windowblinds and uxtheme, maybe it didn't related to what happened but you know humans like to think like this haha..

Anyone here has any idea ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is avast.setup safe? And strange pop up things...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
avast.setup is what does the auto update processes and is safe and requires internet access another file that requires access is ashMaiSv.exe the Internet Mail provider, assuming you have that enabled.

The wmiprvse.exe file is nothing to do with avast.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/wmiprvse/
Description:
wmiprvse.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and deals with WMI operations through the WinMgmt.exe process. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is avast.setup safe? And strange pop up things...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
The ashwebsv.exe is allowed, but this file name "avast.setup" seem a bit weird..
It's not weird... Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
The best things in life are free.