Author Topic: Command Line Scanner  (Read 3843 times)

wendy k. walker

Command Line Scanner
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:48:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching the Internet for a command line scanner and I have ran into several references to Avast having that capability.

But if it does I can't figure out how to use it. Please not the second entry down on this page --> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGFB_enUS225GR225&q=free+command+line+virus+scanner

It says --> For experienced users, various command-line arguments ..., <-- OK, where do I find\use those arguments? When I went to that Avast page I found the Avast Virus Cleaner, but I didn't see any reference to command line scanning.

So am I missing something or is the Avast Virus Cleaner a command line scanner?

Sorry about sounding so dumb here but I have no Idea what a command line scanner is to start with.

Thanks for any advice.

Wendy

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Command Line Scanner
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:03:34 AM »
The command-line scanner is present only in avast! Professional (i.e. not in avast! Home). Do you have the Professional edition?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »
So am I missing something or is the Avast Virus Cleaner a command line scanner?
It's not a command line scanner. Like Igor said, only in avast Professional version you'll got it.
The best things in life are free.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »
Hi igor, Hi Tech,

Thanks for the information. Now I know I'm not going senile. :D I have the Home Edition so I guess that I can stop trying to find the command line scanner in it. :P

OK, not that we have that out of the way... just what does a command line scanner do that an Anti Virus program like Avast doesn't do?

The people over at Bleeping Computers had said that I might want to run a command line scanner in safe mode and that I could fine free scanners online so I went searching for one but so far I haven't found a free one to experiment with.

Is there any advantage in running one of those in safe mode as opposed to running Avast in safe mode?

Thanks for any help.

Wendy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:19 AM »
just what does a command line scanner do that an Anti Virus program like Avast doesn't do?
Nothing... just that a normal antivirus can't be run 'automatically' by command line, you need to press buttons, etc.

Is there any advantage in running one of those in safe mode as opposed to running Avast in safe mode?
No... the same features, the same deepness of scanning...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
The people over at Bleeping Computers had said that I might want to run a command line scanner in safe mode and that I could fine free scanners online so I went searching for one but so far I haven't found a free one to experiment with.

You should be able to use even ordinary avast! scanners (Quick scanner, Simple User Interface) in safe mode. Some features, like moving to Chest, might not work (at least I think so - because the Chest is not "running" if avast! startup entries were not executed), but scanning should be OK (I hope ;)).