Author Topic: returnil virtual system pe free  (Read 7309 times)

Coldmoon

Re: returnil virtual system pe free
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 01:28:42 AM »
Congratulations for the Returnil program. I'm using and it does what it is supposed to do.
It's a pity that it does not allow scripts to update programs in the system partition like Microsoft Windows SteadyState. But, on contrary, Returnil works better than MS tool, safer and with more flexibility in my opinion.

Hello Tech and thank you for the kind words.

The biggest issues are performance and storage space, especially if you have to "carry" multiple change images (different states like VMWare for example). We believe it is easier on the user and ultimately more efficient to guide her/him toward a more secure configuration that includes using alternate partitions to save their data and to install their antivirus.

Changing default installation paths is a security subject I think is not discussed or recommended enough. It is a simple thing to do and is not difficult to learn. It is also easier for the user if they understand that they can install thier antivirus on a partition other than the System without losing any effectiveness in their chosen AV - provided that the target partition loads with Windows...

Are there any subtle feature issues in Avast that would be affected by this configuration?

Mike

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: returnil virtual system pe free
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 02:56:51 AM »
We believe it is easier on the user and ultimately more efficient to guide her/him toward a more secure configuration that includes using alternate partitions to save their data and to install their antivirus.
Yes, but not only data and antivirus could be updated... Nowadays, tons of legit programs update very frequent and it's still a pain having to disable Returnil to get them updated. But again, it makes a safer test environment and I use it to install and test freewares frequently.

Are there any subtle feature issues in Avast that would be affected by this configuration?
No, Mike. The installation path is not relevant for avast to work.
There are problems if the user uses accented characters in the path, but it's an avast issue and it does not depend on which partition avast is installed.
The best things in life are free.