Author Topic: NOT scan designated files||second scanner might cause catastrophe?  (Read 4935 times)

nweissma

• is it possible to instruct thorough scan to NOT scan designated files? i have several large (4-5 GB) c:\ files that i do not need scanned
  • the results of the thorough scan showed 202 cases of "unable to scan." what is the accepted course of action for this?
  • if i temporarily disable avast, and operate a second scanner, will the second scanner catch avast's virus signature database - and possibly cause catastrophe?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: NOT scan designated files||second scanner might cause catastrophe?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »
is it possible to instruct thorough scan to NOT scan designated files? i have several large (4-5 GB) c:\ files that i do not need scanned

Go to program settings and add the corresponding mask (e.g. C:\movies\*) into the list of exclusions. (This is for on-demand scanner, Standard Shield settings are separated - but I think this is what you are looking for.)

the results of the thorough scan showed 202 cases of "unable to scan." what is the accepted course of action for this?

I'd say you can ignore them.

if i temporarily disable avast, and operate a second scanner, will the second scanner catch avast's virus signature database - and possibly cause catastrophe?

No, avast!'s virus signature database is never in plaintext, neither on disk nor in memory - so it shouldn't be detected.
If you'd be running 2 full-featured antiviruses, however, their resident protection may conflict on driver level.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
When I scan and get in the report "unable to scan" it's usually because the file is password protected, often because it's a protected file, or from the database of an antispyware application.
Find out where in the computer they are/what program they are associated with. Then, as said above, you'll realise you probably are ok to ignore them. I realize it's important to know why..I wondered about this for ages.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »
  • the results of the thorough scan showed 202 cases of "unable to scan." what is the accepted course of action for this?

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nweissma

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:31:38 AM »
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

i did not see an explanation of why the files could not be scanned. how do i call this up?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 02:42:19 PM »
I did not see an explanation of why the files could not be scanned. how do i call this up?
Resize the column in the window with the results... the info should be there, but hidden.
Or you can check the Report file (set to create a report into avast settings and check all the options you want to see. The 'ok' files option will make the report very very big and, maybe, you can let it unchecked).
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
In windows it is possible to increase the column widths by dragging the column heading divider to the right.
1. Place your mouse pointer between columns on the divider and you will see the pointer change.
2. Left click the mouse and hold the button down.
3. Drag the mouse to the right until you can see all the text in the column.

See example.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nweissma

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 02:22:57 AM »
Resize the column in the window with the results... the info should be there, but hidden.
Or you can check the Report file (set to create a report into avast settings and check all the options you want to see. The 'ok' files option will make the report very very big and, maybe, you can let it unchecked).

i never realized that 'Report' existed! thanks.

one of the Report options was whether i want the report as text or as xml. why would i want xml?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:43 AM »
one of the Report options was whether i want the report as text or as xml. why would i want xml?
If you have an xml reader... but text is easier and enough 8)

nweissma

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:09:53 AM »
If you have an xml reader... but text is easier and enough 8)

assume that i have an xml reader. why would i opt to read the Report in xml rather than text- what are the advantages of xml over text? (btw, where do i obtain an xml reader?)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:24:25 AM »
assume that i have an xml reader. why would i opt to read the Report in xml rather than text- what are the advantages of xml over text? (btw, where do i obtain an xml reader?)
I see no advantage. I don't like that format. But there is people who work well with it. Need it...
Where can you find them? Google 8)
I suggest searching here http://win.softpedia.com/ and http://fileforum.betanews.com/search