Author Topic: Can't Access Hotmail after installing Avast Home 4.7  (Read 12879 times)

Student

Re: Can't Access Hotmail after installing Avast Home 4.7
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 02:45:21 AM »
There is nothing for me to download on the link you provided David and nothing starts to automatically download so I guess my IE and/or security settings are screwed up - probably from the Norton Uninstall. Is this a serious thing??

Would someone with IT knowledge have a problem correcting it?? I keep hearing horror stories about problems with the registry. I hope that's not it.

thanks for your help again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 03:06:40 AM »
I said nothing starts because of security settings, click on the images I gave in the last post that will expand them and you will see at the top of the page an Information Bar with 'Click here for Options.' Do you see that and did you click it ?

It is serious in the fact that you can't do what you should be able to do with your browser (and I don't know id this is down to NAV or not), if you can't download applications because that it what you are trying to do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Student

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
I said nothing starts because of security settings, click on the images I gave in the last post that will expand them and you will see at the top of the page an Information Bar with 'Click here for Options.' Do you see that and did you click it ?

No that option is not available for me. No security alert is shown at the top of the page because the download does not start. The download does not automatically start. When I go into that link all I see the Mozilla toolbar at the top (Products, Add-ons, Support, etc). That's it.

I really think this relates to problems uninstalling Norton becuase that is exactly when the problem began but I can't click on the download button for the updated uninstall feature on the Norton website. I can see it, but can't click on it. I have IE 7 by the way (Sorry, I thought it was 6)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »
I really don't know how to explain this problem any further as I don't have IE7 so I don't know its security features.

Try right clicking the link below (I extracted it from the javascript call to download it) and select Save As or Save File as or Save link as, this will depend on what is in IE7's context menu. I was able to do that in firefox and it started to download/save the file, I don't know if you will be able to do this or not but I can't test with IE7.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Or paste the URL into your Address box in IE7 and click it, you may get the download security warning (see previous image), select save.

If you can't get this to work, do you have a download manager like StarDownloader, etc. if so you could add that URL into its Add function and it should download it. Problem is if you don't have a download manager already I don't know how you will be able to get one easily. These type of tools are often in the CD/DVDs of Computer Magazines on sale in newsagents, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Student

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 05:57:08 PM »
Davidr, YOU are my new HERO! If you do nothing else today, you have made me very happy.

It worked!!!! I can access hotmail and everything else. The computer is faster now too...faster than it was before (?)

Thanks very much!!

Gail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 06:27:51 PM »
You are very welcome.