Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 2204 times)

vernond

Internet Explorer
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »
Hi,

I've just purchased a new laptop from Dell and declined the McAfee security that came with it, in favour of Avast.

When I first received the laptop I connected it to the wireless broadband in my house and the internet (through internet explorer) worked perfectly and enabled me to download Avast.  Unfortunately, since Avast has been on my system I have been unable to get onto the internet.  The laptop is connected to the network but when I click on internet explorer it just states the page cannot be displayed.  I've tried numerous different internet pages and checked that it is definitely not a problem with the connection in my house.

Thus, I can only assume that it is a problem with Avast? If anyone could tell me how to rectify the problem that would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I have a nice new laptop I'm unable to use…

thanks for taking the time to help and please bear in mind that i'm not the most technical person when it comes to computers and pretty much know the basics...

thanks a lot

David

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
This may be down to your firewall blocking the web shield provider, does terminating the Web Shield provider allow browsing ?
If so this tends to point toward firewall blocking of the web shield.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

You have to ensure McAfee is fully removed.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security